WW2 Rationing Recipes - American

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Not to switch directions, well, yeah, okay...

Thinking of rationing, the latest hubbub about the border issues (avacodos!)got me to think. What would happen to this country if folks had to go back to only eating fruits and vegetables when in season locally? I remember my grandfather loving oranges at Christmas because that was when they were available. Heck, I remember when getting fresh orange juice from Florida in just 48 hours was a big ad campaign! Lol

The WWII rationing stories made me think of multiple tales of hiding food during the American Civil War. I just don't think this upcoming generation could deal with the hardship
Barbara Kingsolver wrote a book on her family's experiences eating only locally produced food for a year. Voluntarily. To see if they can do it and how they'd fare. GREAT book! Really makes you think about food.

Here it is: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life Barbara Kingsolverwww.animalvegetablemiracle.com/

@Velcro welcome to the forum! :frow

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM you ca do that with savory seasonings -- some days we don't want sweet :rolleyes: well, only "some" days :D But the mixture makes it fast and easy for the "run out the door, half awake" mornings.

Let me add -- that mixture is great on baked sweet potatoes!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So, I finally got around to making the Knox butter extender. I used a pint mason jar and a stick blender which made it a lot easier. Looked like butter, pretty much tasted like butter...and I had soggy toast. But I just had some on a baked sweet potato and it was good! My husband just gave me the raised eyebrow look. hahaha