WW2 Rationing Recipes - American

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
https://www.littlethings.com/sweet-wwii-ration-recipes/2

Apple Pandowdy
This used less sugar thanks to the tartness from the apples providing a nice bite all on their own.

Ingredients:
Dough
2 cups sifted flour
3 tsps. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. fat
3/4 cup of milk, or enough to make the dough soft

Filling
4 to 6 eggs
1 qt. milk
1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
Nutmeg to taste

Instructions:
For the dough, sift together the dry ingredients, then mix the fat in thoroughly. Add milk and stir until a dough forms. Roll out onto a floured surface. For the filling, combine all of the ingredients minus the last tablespoon of sugar and pour into a baking dish. Cook the apples at 400 °F for about 20 minutes. Add strips of dough on top of the apples, sprinkle on the remaining sugar, and bake until the sugar begins to melt and the pastry is golden brown.

pandowdy-850x637.jpg

Thanks for posting this... My mom made this when I was a kid. Looked exactly like that also, iron skillet and all. Brings back some fond memories.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've looked at a ton of UK's wartime recipes. Many main dishes had a LOT of carrots, parsnips, turnips and a few ingredients that weren't available or commonly used in the USA. It all depended on the area you lived in. We would have had lots of tomato and cabbage dishes in this area.
I remember my mom watching episodes of Victory Gardens years ago, but what little I saw were focused on flowers and bushes. Wartime Victory Gardens were all about food, teaching folks to be more self sufficient and not to waste a thing.
We know a thing or two about that in this forum.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I feel the adjustments made to work with what you had was not only necessary but, genius. In life we need to use what we have, when we have it (seasonally?) and "make do" more often. Cooking is just one way to improvise.

Repurposing is another. I picked up a large, undamaged, dog kennel from a trash pile just today. There is no need to fill our trash with such useable things. Heck, It's large enough for a German Shepard type and will save me the time, labor and material to make a hut for -- transporting goat kids, a warming box, housing broody hens, a nasty roo for butcher, a new cat & kittens, etc. People moved, house for sale. :idunno Score! :old No slacker here.:D

Sharing & bartering are other ways for people to share & spare, save money, live better.

Look at FEM... she has pigs, neighbor has land. She uses, he doesn't have to maintain. He butchers pigs she raised -- they share the meat. GREAT deal as far as I am concerned! If we all just looked around us I'm sure many "trades" could be arranged to benefit many. It isn't always "cash" that works, just some ways to save it -- even if none available.

Last edited:

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Golden Syrup

Sugar, water and a slice of lemon are all you need to make this buttery caramel flavored syrup!
  • 3 Tbsp water
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/4 cup boiling water
  • 2 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1 lemon slice
  1. Pour 3 Tbsp water and 1/2 cup sugar into a saucepan.

2. Bring to a simmer over medium-low to medium heat.

3. Once the mixture turns a caramel color, slowly and carefully add 1 1/4 cups boiling water (I pre-heated the water my countertop hot water kettle).

4. Add 2 1/2 cups sugar and bring to a low simmer.

5. Add a slice of lemon to the mixture. The lemon will keep the mixture from crystalizing at is simmers.

6. Turn the heat down to low and let the syrup simmer for about 45 minutes.

7. When the syrup is ready, remove the candied lemon slice. Let the mixture cool down for a few minutes before pouring it into a sterilized glass jar (I poured boiling water into my jar and let it sit for a couple minutes). The syrup will be thin at this point but will thicken up as it sits in the jar.

8. Store in a cool, dry place.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No, no sane person would. But haven't you heard of the vegan group that steals animals from farms? I have vegan friends who appreciate what we do on our farm, but there are a lot of people (like all of PETA) who think we shouldn't own animals. Crazies.

I'm just going to leave it at PETA bashing and not go into the politician who wants to regulate cow farts;)