WW2 Rationing Recipes - American

Velcro

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
In the 40's we would visit my uncle his wife always had lots of tasty butter. They had no refrigerator or Ice cabinet, so the butter was soft. She extended it with canned milk. She passed about 5 years ago and anytime you went to her house, she had her extended butter. We loved it and with the price of butter today, I plan to start making extended butter. Will start out with a cube and add canned milk till it's light and fluffy. Hope it saves us lots of money as my hubby eats bread on his butter.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Some small local hydroponic greens places, but nothing even close to even providing for the schools.

And those that get snooty about canned or fermented foods, something other than chicken breast nuggets. Lol.

Everything but the oink.....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Butter is ridiculously expensive. What an interesting idea. I seriously might try that just because I'm curious.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We still eat turnovers here. Apple are a favorite, and peach are good too.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've had that before! It was good, if I remember correctly, it had a vague tomato soup color to it as well.
I had a few other depression era recipes around here, I'll have to see if I can find them.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I like reading these old recipes and may try one or two of them myself, thanks for sharing them! :)

We have apple turnovers in every good sized and stocked store here. The Irish LOVE their sweets, especially bakes like cake, cookies, pastries, etc. I love their apple turnovers and lattice squares:

5098807068014_3.jpg

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
salads-victorygarden.jpg

Salads From Your Victory Garden!

Panama Radish Salad

This unusual, fresh and crispy combination tastes wonderful served as a side dish with meat or with crusty rolls for lunch.

Mix about 2 doz. medium-sized radishes (sliced) with 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. minced onions, 1/2 tsp. chopped mint or parsley leaves, a large tomato, chopped fine (if you have it). Add 1/4 cup Heinz Pure cider vinegar, 2 tbs. Heinz Olive Oil (optional) . . . garnish with tender radish tops and garden lettuce.

Old-Fashioned Potato Salad

Made from any kind of potatoes, this salad is delicious–but, if possible, do try it with tiny new potatoes from your garden. To serve 4 you need 4 cups cubed boiled potatoes, 1 small onion, chopped.

For dressing . . . heat 3 tbs. bacon droppings, 2 tbs. Heinz Cider Vinegar, 2 tbs. water, 1 tsp. Heinz Worcestershire Sauce. Pour on potatoes. Salt to taste. Sprinkle with chopped onion tops. Serve hot.

Surround potato salad with tender young beet tops or dandelions, shredded. Save a little of the bacon dressing to pour over greens.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Betty, how you've changed.

Emergency Steak, from the Betty Crocker Picture Cookbook, 1950 -
"T-Bone," family style. Strips of carrot may be inserted to resemble the bone.

Mix together...
1 lb. ground beef
1 tbsp. minced onion
1/2 cup milk
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 cup Wheaties or 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs

Place on lightly greased pan, pat into shape of T-bone steak (1" thick). Broil. Serve hot...immediately. 6 servings.