WW2 Rationing Recipes - American

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hard to eat locally in a lot of places now. Since at some point in the last century they decided to mostly centralize food growing to the desert of California.

We have enough farming here that you can eat local for most things. Also means people are limited to what can grow local.

There has always been a good size Seventh Day Adventists community in this state so there are plenty of vegetarian options. The are why lentils are a big crop here. The settlers needed them for protein.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Some small local hydroponic greens places, but nothing even close to even providing for the schools.

And those that get snooty about canned or fermented foods, something other than chicken breast nuggets. Lol.

Everything but the oink.....

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Not to switch directions, well, yeah, okay...

Thinking of rationing, the latest hubbub about the border issues (avacodos!)got me to think. What would happen to this country if folks had to go back to only eating fruits and vegetables when in season locally? I remember my grandfather loving oranges at Christmas because that was when they were available. Heck, I remember when getting fresh orange juice from Florida in just 48 hours was a big ad campaign! Lol

The WWII rationing stories made me think of multiple tales of hiding food during the American Civil War. I just don't think this upcoming generation could deal with the hardship
Barbara Kingsolver wrote a book on her family's experiences eating only locally produced food for a year. Voluntarily. To see if they can do it and how they'd fare. GREAT book! Really makes you think about food.

Here it is: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life Barbara Kingsolverwww.animalvegetablemiracle.com/

@Velcro welcome to the forum! :frow

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've heard about it but never read it. Just found it as a kindle for only 2.99 so I'm gonna be reading it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Marianne - you've created a monster lol. I made some more of the extended butter - with a twist. Since I only basically use it as a spread - as opposed to cooking with it - I decided to jazz it up a bit. This time I added some stevia, cinnamon and a little pumpkin spice seasoning. Oh my goodness! I don't eat a lot of carbs, but I generally grab a piece of toast before work because it's quick and easy. Some of this spread on that piece of toast is a little sweet treat!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEM you ca do that with savory seasonings -- some days we don't want sweet :rolleyes: well, only "some" days :D But the mixture makes it fast and easy for the "run out the door, half awake" mornings.

Let me add -- that mixture is great on baked sweet potatoes!

Latest posts