YARD SALE SEASON!!!

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sure I could have a sign leaned up against a table... but nobody would see it. Off the road (back road way out into the woods) you have to turn off onto a private road (w/ no sign) going into the woods.. all you can see are trees... then off that is our 1/2 mile long drive (still into the woods) you can't even see our house from there. :) So nobody would be able to see a sign unless we placed it out at the road. (which very few people drive that way anyways)

We moved out into the woods to get away from stupid neighborhood meetings and ordinances and all that fun stuff! So we don't have anyone bugging us.. we're allowed to do what we want w/ our property (have pets....homeschool...have friends over.. have a ton of kids over ... build and repair things like a chicken coop, or fix things on our home.. w/out neighbors fussing)

We're so far out in the woods that we don't get door to door solicitors! Yay! We've only been bugged twice since moving in! One was within a week of us moving in.... and it was someone thinking the house was still for sale. The second was from a Sherrif's Deputy questioning our children's truancy... a quick call to our lawyer fixed that one. (have one close neighbor who doesn't like kids.. I'm sure he brought on that visit)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I live way too close to the road! I would love to live farther back off the highway, but then I probably couldn't sell my produce as easily. I was raised way back in the woods, a mile off the hard road. What luxury! You are indeed lucky!

Tutter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I looooove a yard sale! Boy, they can make my summer! :D

What great bargins you got! :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
ticks said:
woo-hoo we made 3 bucks!
Laugh, Ticks! You go ahead, but the lady who ran the yard sale I just went to was selling everything very cheaply and was standing with a wad of money in her hand...it was not all ones! :lol:

Asher

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I haven't been to one in ages. :-( I work every Saturday and that's when most yard sales are around here. I get done after they're over. I see some on my route, but don't want to take them time to stop and get delayed.

Ace

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I used to love hitting yard sales but nowadays all I ever see is people trying to get rid of kids clothes and shoes. None of which I can use. If there is something interesting in a newspaper ad I'll check a yard sale out but otherwise I don't shop at them anymore.

greyhorsewoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Happened by a 'free' yard sale on a recent trip to the post office. First one I've stopped at in quite awhile, but there was a bouncing kid's horse. Grabbed that for my granddaughter, along with some doors, and a wooden shelf that looked a lot like an impromptu nest box (already in service).

I finally got my yard sale organized and then found out I could only do it one day (forgot about Sunday plans). Made $21.50 for the all the work ! It did get me motivatived to cleaned out some stuff though. We hauled some of the unsold tack & saddle stuff to auction the following Tuesday and made $90.00. Have some more to take down this week. I might still try to gather up some more things and try again before the end of summer.

My daughter worked hard to get a yard sale set up for herself in the CITY (WashDC) earlier this spring. She was disappointed at the turnout. Ended up hauling most of the stuff off to Good Will. She was pleased though, she can finally see her basement, which they want to remodel into additional living space.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My duaghters travel to Ecuador every summer with the church mission to build homes.
Each participant pays for their own airfare and $1000.00 towards building materials.
We decided to hold a yardsale fundraiser and put a note in the church bulletin that if anyone had any items that they no longer wanted they could donate it to the sale.
People were dropping things off daily, I would come home and find stuff on my front lawn. My carriage house was so packed we couldn't move in there and eventually ran out of room completely.There was stuff up to the ceiling.
The day of the sale we made $2000.00.
Everything was marked cheap but we had soooo much of it.