Your Best GLUTEN FREE recipes please!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A family member was recently diagnosed with wheat allergies and I am starting out my quest for tried and true favorite GF recipes. Thanks in advance!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
And I'll be lurking since I think this may be an issue for me. Not so much an allergy, but a sensitivity? Anyway, something I'm looking into. I'll share any I find too!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
And I'll be lurking since I think this may be an issue for me. Not so much an allergy, but a sensitivity? Anyway, something I'm looking into. I'll share any I find too!
henrietta--have you been tested? i have been looking into gluten intolerance alot lately too, due to some medical issues that have come up over the last while. From what I read though, it is best to get tested first, before you start on a gluten free diet.-that way whe they do a biopsy, they will have and accurate test, whereas if you start on gluten free and then have the test--it will not be accurate. I will be going to the doctor to get tested, but I have already looked at gluten free recipes. I have not tried any yet, due to the fact that I haven't been tested yet. I have heard that the rice bread is better toasted.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
No I haven't been tested yet. I haven't eliminated gluten yet. Mostly I'm reading reading reading. I have tried rice bread and it is definitely better toasted! I just made spinach balls for a party. I made a half batch with bread crumbs I made from rice bread since a friend who's going to be there is gluten intolerant. I tasted one and they're almost as good a the originals. Just a slight texture difference.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you for the recipes so far, I really appreciate it!

unaspenser

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My husband has Celiac Disease, so I do a lot of GF cooking. Lots of recipes for things like drop biscuits, pancakes, cakes, etc. seem to work pretty well using white rice flour 1 to 1 instead of wheat flour. My favorite gluten-free recipe is this one for Disgustingly Rich Brownies. I think the rice flour makes it even more moist:

Disgustingly Rich Gluten-Free Brownies:

Microwave 1 cup of butter to melt it.

Add to this 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup cocoa powder. Try to resist eating it.

Add four eggs and a teaspoon of vanilla and mix well. Ditto about the eating

Add 1 1/4 cups white rice flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt

Bake at 425 degrees for about 45 minutes, or eat the batter. Leave 'em a little gooey in the middle.

Enjoy! :)

ETA: Here is another good one: Arlen's Gluten-Free Love Cookies:

Sift together:

4 cups white rice flour
1 teaspoon baking powder (claber girl is gluten-free)
1/2 teaspoon salt

In another bowl cream together:

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 eggs
Juice and zest from one lemon
2 cups sugar

Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients. This should make a crumbly cookie dough.

Squeeze into balls with your hands, and roll in sugar. If the cookies won't stick together add water or vegetable oil (I used oil) a tablespoon at a time. Bake 325 degrees for about 12 minutes. As soon as you take them out of the oven use a fork to flatten them out a bit. This makes a delicious cookie that is soft on the inside, and just crisp on the outside.

This would also be good with vanilla or almond extract in place of the lemon (use about 1 teaspoon) and omitting the zest. Then you could roll them in cinnamon sugar for snickerdoodles, or stick a piece of candy in the center when they come out of the oven, or use cocoa powder in place of some of the flour for chocolate cookies! Go wild.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'd love to revive this thread!! I have several family members with celiac sprue. With some issues that are coming up with my son and school, we have been paying attention to his diet. He LOVES carbs. At home, we try to eat more balance carb-protein-fat diet. When we are at a potluck or elsewhere, it would be nothing for him to eat 4 white-flour rolls before I notice and cut him off. I've read that people are often very attracted to the very food they really shouldn't eat.

IF he has symptoms of gluten intolerance, they would be nearly purely behavioral. Bowels work normally. He's a bit of a gassy kid, but I would lean more towards dairy for that one. Plus, that's so much fun for a 9-yo boy! How could I take the dietary source away?!? :D

Could I hijack this a bit to ask if/why you are gluten free?

How have you felt differently since going on a gluten-free diet?

Where are your cheapest sources for the special flours and grains you must use to be GF?

And.........what are some more of your favorite recipes?

I'll post a recipe here with the caveat that I have not tried it yet. It does sound promising, though:

Gluten Free Pizza Crust Recipe
3/4 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup white rice flour*
1/3 cup chickpea flour
1/3 cup sorghum flour
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/2 cup whole milk
2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast, from 1 (1/4-ounce) package
2 teaspoons sugar
2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil

*Be sure to use white rice flour; brown will result in gritty pizza dough.
Special equipment: pizza stone or heavy baking sheet, baking peel or heavy baking sheet, parchment paper
1. In bowl of electric mixer, whisk together tapioca flour, white rice flour, chickpea flour, sorghum flour, xanthum gum, and salt.
2. In small saucepan over moderate heat, stir together milk and 1/4 cup water and heat until warm but not hot to the touch, about 1 minute (the mixture should register between 105F and 115 F on candy thermometer). Stir in yeast and sugar. Add milkyeast mixture, egg whites, and 2 tablespoons oil to dry ingredients and, using paddle attachment, beat at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, until dough is very smooth and very thick, about 5 minutes.
3. Remove racks from oven, set pizza stone or heavy upturned baking sheet on bottom of oven, and preheat to 400F. (Preheat at least 45 minutes if using pizza stone or 20 minutes if using baking sheet.)
4. Have ready two 12-inch squares parchment paper. Scrape half of dough onto each square and form each half into a ball. Coat each ball with 2 teaspoons oil, then use oiled fingertips to pat and stretch each ball into 9-inch-diameter round, 1/4 inch thick, with a 1/2-inch-thick border. Loosely cover rounds with plastic wrap and let rise in warm draft-free place until each pizza is about 10 inches in diameter, about 20 minutes.
5. Using baking peel, transfer 1 crust with parchment to preheated pizza stone and bake until top is puffed and firm and underside is crisp, 5 to 10 minutes. Using baking peel and discarding parchment paper, transfer baked crust to rack to cool. Bake second crust in same manner. (Baked crusts can be made ahead and frozen, wrapped in plastic wrap, up to 1 month. Thaw in 350F oven until hot, 4 to 5 minutes, before topping and broiling.)

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I have a friend who has been experimenting with her own recipes. She won some ribbons at the fair. I'll have to ask her if she'll share. I have made some wonderfull cookies from a recipe in he Joy of Cooking. I'll have to look it up. It was mostly hazelnuts and eggwhites.
She is going gluten free, due to fibromyalgia.