Your Best GLUTEN FREE recipes please!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Thanks I'll give them a try!

I made a GF pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and tried a crumb crust made with ground almonds and butter (like a graham cracker crust out of nuts). I did not prebake the crust however ( I was worried that all of the time a pumpkin pie takes would be too much) and so it did not stay together. Instead I ended up with a pumpkin pie dotted with tiny little almond chunks and no crust. Still tasted great!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
These recipes sound great!

I have nothing to contribute, just wanted to non-lurk this thread for a second :frow

Nourishing traditions has a recipe for pie crust made of nuts, almond I know & pecan too, if I'm not mistaken.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this! I have a church friend who has to eat gluten-free, and it will be nice to be able to bring some things to our pot-luck's that I can make and label 'gluten-free.'

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have made my favorite sesame chicken recipe GF/DF on occasion for special treat
http://www.recipezaar.com/Flawless-Sesame-Chicken-Restaurant-Style-129598
nix the flour and use more cornstarch in the marinade. make sure you use braggs liquid amino or wheat free soy sauce.
Also my family loves porcupine meatballs which I found a recipe on line that does not start with canned soup as the base. That has been a big hit served over brown rice at our house.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* 1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice (use white in meatballs or you will have to add to cook time or they may not be done)
* 1/2 cup water
* 1/3 cup chopped onion
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
* 1/8 teaspoon pepper
* 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1 lb ground beef
* 2 tablespoons cooking oil (I use olive oil)
* 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce make sure GF some are not
* 1 cup water
* 2 tablespoons brown sugar (only if you like it sweet I do not use)
* 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (make sure GF)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.
2Add the ground beef and mix well.
3Shape meat mixture into 1- 1/2 inch balls.
4Heat oil in large skillet.
5Brown meatballs in oil.
6After meatballs have browned, drain oil and fat.
7In a medium size bowl, combine the tomato sauce, water, brown sugar, and Worcestershire sauce; pour over meatballs in skillet.
8Reduce heat; cover skillet and simmer for 1 hour. (I do 40 minutes max.)

I have found that I have started them with foods they love and retrofitted them to dietary needs, then slowly introduced the truly healthy options of just meat and veggies. The acceptance has been a lot better in my family.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Made peanut-tofu stir-fry last night. The kids and I love this stuff!!

Peanut-Tofu (or chicken) Stir-Fry

Heat a pan on medium-high. Add about 1 T sesame or other oil. Dice 1 lb tofu (firm) and add to pan. I sprinkled with about 1/8 t cayenne and about 1/2 t paprika for color. Pan-fry until crispy. Remove tofu to a plate.

Add another 1 T oil to pan and toss in your favorite veggies, starting with hardest veggies first. I did 3 carrots, coined; 1 head broccoli, stems first; 2 sweet potatoes, 2 onions, 3 huge garlic gloves, 1 red pepper, 2 T chopped peeled ginger. Stir until crisp-tender.

Meanwhile blend about 3 T cornstarch with about 3 cups chicken broth until starch is dissolved. Add to pan and cook until thickened and bubbly. Drizzle about 3 T honey over entire mixture and blend in.

Chop 1 bunch cilantro and toss into the pan. Stir about 1 min.

Finally, stir in about 1/2-2/3 cup peanut butter (I used chunky) until well blended. Serve plain or over favorite carb :D (I used brown rice). Enjoy!

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

GF Flour 1 part sorghum, 1 part brown rice, 1 part tapioca

1 3/4 cup GF Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Xanthan Gum (optional; makes them more chewy)
1/4 cup Butter or Oil or shortening
( I haven't tried coconut oil yet but I am planning to)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup White Sugar
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
1 Large Egg
1/2 to 3/4 cup Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup Walnuts (optional)

Mix flour, baking soda and xanthan gum and set aside.

Mix egg, butter, and sugar then add flour mixture.

Add chocolate chips.

Spoon onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Woodland Woman said:
Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies

GF Flour 1 part sorghum, 1 part brown rice, 1 part tapioca

1 3/4 cup GF Flour
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Xanthan Gum (optional; makes them more chewy)
1/4 cup Butter or Oil or shortening
( I haven't tried coconut oil yet but I am planning to)
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup White Sugar
1 tsp vanilla (optional)
1 Large Egg
1/2 to 3/4 cup Chocolate Chips
1/4 cup Walnuts (optional)

Mix flour, baking soda and xanthan gum and set aside.

Mix egg, butter, and sugar then add flour mixture.

Add chocolate chips.

Spoon onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes.
Do you know if any of the ingredients need adjusting with altitude? I have tried 4 chocolate chip recipes with the same result....ROCK HARD even if they look undercooked. I have tried taking them out sooner but all have hardened :barnie I really am a decent baker but this GF/DF is a whole other game.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
One thing that I have been trying that seems to help matters is adding an additional egg white to most recipes. I don't know if it will help at altitude since we are only about 700 ft above sea level here, but it has made it easier to produce lighter products so far.

I totally agree. It is VERY frustrating to have once been a really good baker and now I can't even make a decent biscuit! :he