Your Best GLUTEN FREE recipes please!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
chicken egg allergy also applies to us, I am waiting for my turkeys to start laying and on the lookout for duck eggs to see if there is a reaction. The difficulty in that is we can only really tell when wheat is eaten for a behavior reaction, we cannot tell with the dairy or eggs. Hoping the allergist can give us advice on that. Even though we have eliminated all allergens we are aware of we have not seen a change in 'gut' health and trying to get fermented has been challenging to say the least. Any advice everyone???

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have heard that many people who are allergic to cows milk can drink goats milk, so I imagine the egg thing would be similar. If you find out you can eat duck eggs the Pekin seems to be a prolific egg layer mine always were.

I do not have a wheat "allergy" I am celiac, which means I don't tolerate gluten. I can't speak to that kind of allergy.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thought I would revive this old thread....

This polenta chicken pot pie is on the menu for Thursday, I will post a review on Fri!

http://simplygluten-free.blogspot.com/2010/03/polenta-pot-pies.html

Polenta Pot Pies
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon cornstarch

3 cups gluten free chicken stock, use divided

2 teaspoons olive oil

2 carrots, chopped

Salt

Pepper

1 cup cream or coconut milk, use divided

1 cup frozen baby onions

3 cups cooked chicken meat, chopped

1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced

1 cup frozen peas

cup quick cook polenta

1 cup grated cheese (I prefer Gruyere) optional if making dairy free

Directions:

Mix the cornstarch with cup chicken stock and set aside.

In a large skillet or Dutch oven, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat and then add the chopped carrots. Season with salt and pepper and cook until the carrots just start to caramelize, about 5 minutes. Add 1 cups chicken stock, the cream or coconut milk, chopped chicken, frozen onions and minced rosemary and bring to a simmer. You can also add any roasted veggies you may have on hand, butternut squash or potatoes are particularly good. Let simmer about 15 minutes. The veggies should be tender and the chicken heated through. Add the frozen peas. Turn the heat up; bring the mixture to a boil and stir in the cornstarch mixture. Boil for 1 minute and take off the heat. Taste the mixture and adjust seasoning if needed. Divide the mixture between 4 oven proof bowls or ramekins and set them on a baking sheet.

Preheat the broiler and place the oven rack in the middle.

In a saucepan over medium high heat, bring the remaining cup of chicken stock and remaining half cup of cream or coconut milk to a boil. Gradually whisk in the polenta and cook until thick, about 3 minutes. Turn the heat to low and stir in the cheese until melted.

Top the chicken mixture with the polenta and smooth it. Place in pre-heated broiler for 2 -3 minutes or until the tops are browned. Serve with a garnish of rosemary sprigs if desired.

Serves 4.

Also going to try this for Friday night :

http://simplygluten-free.blogspot.com/2010/05/gluten-free-grilled-pizza.html

Gluten-free Grilled Pizza
Ingredients:

Note - I used my own flour blend for the pizza dough but you can substitute the 1 cups of my flour blend and 1 teaspoons of xanthan gum with 2/3 cup sorghum, cup tapioca starch, 1/3 cup sweet rice flour and 2 teaspoons xanthan gum. This will make a more whole wheat tasting pizza crust.

1 cups All Purpose Gluten-free Flour Blend
1 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 tablespoon dry active yeast
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
teaspoon kosher or fine sea salt
teaspoon agave nectar, sugar or honey
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2/3 cup hot tap water (around 110 degrees is perfect)
Cheese (optional about cup grated cheese per pizza)) and Toppings of your choice
Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees unless using an out door grill.

Combine all ingredients in a bowl of an electric mixer fitter with regular beaters or whisk attachment (not dough hook or paddle attachment). Mix on low until combined. Scrape down bowl once. Turn mixer to high and mix for 3 minutes. The dough may clunk around in the mixer at first then soften up, this is fine. The dough will be soft and sticky.

Dust a work surface generously with more All Purpose Gluten-free Flour Blend or white rice or sorghum flour. Kneed the dough a few times until it is smooth and no longer sticky. You can use the dough now or save to use later. If using later, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in the fridge. It will puff up and rise slightly which is fine.

Pull off golf ball sized pieces, roll into a ball and roll out with a floured rolling pin, rolling in one direction at a time, turning the disk with each roll. Roll until about 5 or 6 inches in diameter and thin. Dust off any excess flour with a pastry brush.

Heat a grill pan over high heat or hat an outdoor grill to medium. If using an outdoor grill, lightly oil the grate. Place the rolled out pizzas on the grill pan or grates and cook about 2 -3 minutes per side or until as charred as you like. The dough may puff up while cooking, flatten it down if so. If cooking on an outdoor grill, add any topping you like and lower the lid, cook for about 5 minutes or until the cheese (if using) is melted and the toppings are hot. If cooking on a grill pan, flip over and cook another 2 3 minutes. Top with desired toppings and put in the preheated oven for about 5 minutes or until the topping are hot and cheese (if using) is bubbly.

If you need to make the pizza crusts ahead you can grill them up to one day before and store, wrapped in plastic at room temperature.

Makes 8 10 individual pizzas.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
YUM! Thanks for the pot pie recipe!! I love polenta and haven't been eating it for a while.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
My only drawback on the polenta is that the one I bouht is not labled GF...so I guess I have to call the company. :/

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Grandma Nettie used to make her own.

All it is is cornmeal, water and salt. I'll try to find the recipe and post it.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That sound really good I am going to give it a try tomorrow, already have the chicken leftover and was trying to figure out something new to make with it.
Tonight we are trying sausage and rice casserole (tomato based) hopefully it will go over well.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Grandma Nettie's Corn Meal Mush GLUTEN FREE

Gor-mets call this stuff Polenta these days, but we hillbillys just calls it mush!

1 cup corn meal
1 cup cold water
1 t salt

-Stir together until smooth

3 cups boiling water

- Slowly add cornmeal mixture to boiling water stirring until smooth.
Cover and turn stove to low for 10 min until thickened.

This can be eaten as a hot cereal with honey, syrup, jam or dare I say it ... sugar!

OR

Pour the mixture into a lightly oiled clean coffee can and chill.

This can be then sliced and lightly pan fried like a pancake - served with sweetener or fruit. Get fancy and add herbs or cheese and have it for dinner. Use it on the Pot Pie recipe above! Cheap, Nutritious and TASTY!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks I have never made "mush" :D for dinner so I am going to give this a try!