Your Best GLUTEN FREE recipes please!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We had this as a side dish with dinner tonight. Really good and tasty.

Brown Rice & Cranberry Salad

4 c cooked brown rice
1/2 c diced red onion
1 c diced celery
1/2 c dried cranberries
1 c grated carrot
1/2 c balsamic vinegar
1 - 2 T sugar
1/2 c sliced almonds

Combine rice, onion, celery, and cranberries in large bowl (or the pot the rice was cooked in). In a separate bowl, whisk together the vinegar and sugar. Pour over rice mixture and stir well to coat all ingredients. Stir in almonds. Serve.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
No I haven't been tested yet. I haven't eliminated gluten yet. Mostly I'm reading reading reading. I have tried rice bread and it is definitely better toasted! I just made spinach balls for a party. I made a half batch with bread crumbs I made from rice bread since a friend who's going to be there is gluten intolerant. I tasted one and they're almost as good a the originals. Just a slight texture difference.
It is just a simple blood test BEFORE you quit the gluten.

I am Celiac and my D2 is as well. I am also fairly sure Geek son is but so far he is in denial and refusing to give it up or be tested.

Get it done. If you are allergic it is damaging your body. We found out because my D2, seemed to be forever sick in one way or another. Finally her gall bladder simply gave out, at 22 years old, and had to be removed. That is not normal when you are young, thin, and usually eat healthy. The tests proved she was Celiac. Not only that she is COMPLETELY intolerant. She experiences anaflatic shock when she eats gluten. It has sent her to the emergency room several times and she must carry an epi pen always.

My own Celiac response is more typical. Before I was diagnosed I suffered severe acid reflux which is now GONE. If I eat small amounts of gluten I get sick to my stomach, and diarrhea. I also have asthma which has MUCH improved without the gluten.

My mother died at 50 of esophageal cancer which can result from acid reflux and grandma Nettie suffered bleeding ulcers most of her life. I can't help but wonder what their lives would have been without gluten.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Thought I'd post this here... Ingredients and Additives that do not contain gluten. I post this for informational purposes only.

http://www.drgourmet.com/gluten/pdf/nogluten.pdf

ETA: Vanilla is not on this list. I mentioned this earlier, unless vanilla is marked or you make it at home with non-gluten base, there seems to be no guarantee that vanilla on the market is gluten-free.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Add to that list Coke, Tootsie Rolls and Hershey's chocolate bars!

Things that save me! :D

I actually emailed to the makers of Jgermeister - it is gluten free as well. Rum is made from sugar cane and is OK too as long as it is not flavored.

I would NOT trust the beer NO MATTER what they say. Beer is made of both barley AND wheat and both contain gluten.

Louisiana brands (like the hot sauce) have several sauces that are gluten free including a wing sauce, Worcestershire sauce and others.
BRAGGS makes a soy sauce that is OK as well as Tamari which is a pure soy soy sauce.

And God bless Chex cereals. They now sell SEVERAL gluten free cereals! :bow

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
My mom sent on some tried and true recipes she has used for decades. I'll start first with the all-purpose GF flour mix:

GF Flour Mixture
2 cups white or brown rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch flour (NOT potato flour- there is a big difference)
1/3 cup tapioca flour (also called tapioca starch flour- in this case they are the same thing)

Mix well, and then pour into a large wire mesh strainer or sifter. Stir flour with a spoon so it sifts through the strainer into a large bowl, then store in container. Does not need to be refrigerated.

I triple the batch so I have a large quantity on hand as follows:

6 cups brown rice flour (I use Authentic Foods, ground superfine)
2 cups potato starch flour
1 cup tapioca flour

me&thegals

Reaction score
Then there's one using the above mixture and seasonal pumpkin (or squash). It's a tradition at our family's Thanksgiving for the celiac members:

GF Pumpkin Cream Cheese Muffins
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups white sugar
cup corn oil
1 cup canned pumpkin

2 cups plus 1 tblsp. GF flour mixture (see GF thread for recipe for GF flour)
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teasp. baking soda
teasp. salt
teasp. xanthan gum

Mix eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin with electric mixer in bowl for 1 minute. Mix dry ingredients in separate bowl until combined, then add to pumpkin mixture. Mix on low just until combined- dont over mix.

Batter can be spooned into muffin pans at this point and baked @ 350 degrees for about 18 minutes, or you can add the following cream cheese mixture to the center of each muffin batter before baking:

6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1 tblsp. sugar

Mix well and spoon or inject each muffin with cream cheese mixture and then bake for 18-20 minutes @ 350.

*I use a small food injector available at grocery stores or kitchen gadget stores. You can also use a piping bag or turkey baster.

Makes about 20 muffins

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Anyone have a good GF pie crust recipe?

I made chicken pot pie with a store GF pie crust mix last night and it left LOTS to be desired. Crummy, greasy and dry ... yuck. :sick

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry to ignore this thread but I have not been on here for quite some time.
For my family member who is gluten intolerant now has not only the wheat allergies but also now includes egg, dairy.

Cheapest source for Gluten free flours by far for me has been the Asian markets. A pound of Tapioca flour/starch is about .60 and big brands like Bob's red mill are around 3-4 a pound. They have all types of rice flours for a fraction of the cost also.

A magazine I really like that has helped a TON is "Living without" it has recipes and suggestions for a variety of the major allergens and what subs you can use.
They have a pie crust listed that sounds promising.
http://www.livingwithout.com/recipes/traditional-pie-crust.html

This is their site and I really like it!
http://www.livingwithout.com
I have tried some of their bread recipes before we had to eliminate eggs with great results.

me&thegals

Reaction score
My mom made these my whole life, and they are great!

GF Cornmeal and Buttermilk Pancakes
1 egg, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons corn oil

1 cups GF flour mixture (see above post)
to 1/3 cup cornmeal
1 teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon salt
teaspoon baking soda

Mix wet ingredients together, then mix dry ingredients together and add to egg/buttermilk mixture. Stir only till combined and fry in oil or butter on medium high heat.

ETA: I definitely would not use corn oil, unless organic, but mom does. :rolleyes: In fact, for my pancake recipes I sub buttermilk for oil or butter...

me&thegals

Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Anyone have a good GF pie crust recipe?

I made chicken pot pie with a store GF pie crust mix last night and it left
LOTS to be desired. Crummy, greasy and dry ... yuck. :sick
I found this one online but have not tried it yet...

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free Traditional Pie Crust
Enough for 1 double-crust Pie

This crust is ideal for summer berry pies. Sprinkle the top crust with a little sugar to make the pie glisten.

1 cup brown rice flour
cup potato starch
cup tapioca starch/flour
cup cornstarch
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon granulated or organic sugar
cup cold shortening or cup butter or margarine + cup shortening, best if slightly chilled
cup ice-cold water

Place flour, starches, salt and sugar in a food processing bowl. Pulse for a few seconds to blend ingredients. Place shortening or shortening/butter combination, cut into small, approximately -inch pieces, in the food processing bowl. Pulse ingredients for 15 to 30 seconds until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
With the food processor running, slowly pour cold water into the feed tube, just until the dough comes together. Stop the food processor immediately and remove the dough. If the dough comes together before youve poured all the water into the feed tube, do not add the final amount of water.
Place dough on a lightly floured surface (brown rice flour) or a piece of parchment or waxed paper. Form dough into a ball and cut in half. Wrap one half of the dough in plastic wrap to prevent it from drying out while you work with the other half.
Flatten the ball of dough into a round disc, place between two pieces of waxed or parchment paper and roll out the dough with a rolling pin. If your dough is slightly sticky, lightly flour the dough disc and the bottom parchment/waxed paper before rolling out the dough.
After rolling the dough, gently remove the top piece of parchment/waxed paper. Invert the rolled pie dough into a lightly greased pie tin (using spray oil or lightly grease with shortening). Fill the pie shell with desired filling.
Unwrap the second half of dough and roll it as instructed above. Lay rolled dough on top of the pie. Using your fingers, gently press down the dough along the edge of the pie tin. This will help seal the top and bottom pie crusts together. Running a knife along the outside edge of the pie tin, cut the excess pie crust from the pie tin and discard or save for another use. Using your fingers, pinch the dough to flute the edge or use a fork to press the crust edge down.
To obtain a nice golden crust, lightly brush your crust with milk of your choice or a beaten egg white mixed with 1 tablespoon water, before placing the pie in the oven for baking. Double-crusted pies must vent steam during baking. With a small knife, place several slits in your top crust before baking your pie.

Recipe by Diane Kittle.

TIP No food processor? Make dough by working shortening/butter into the dry ingredients, adding water and mixing with a fork or pastry blade just until dough comes together. Pie dough has a tendency to become tough if the dough is overworked, so work quickly to prevent an overworked dough.