Your Charities and Good Deeds

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
My DH is a contract logger for a local paper mill. A portion of each truck load goes to Log A Load For Kids. We also donate to St. Judes Medical Center. We are donating members to our local animal shelter.

My women's group at church sponsers a man who has very little income. We do food and fuel (home heating) drives. We donate clothes to The Better Living Center.

We take veggies to church to be redistributed to needy families. In my greenhouse I grow extra seedlings to give away to people who want to grow their own, but just can't afford to.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think all those are wonderful ways to give back....especially the one about seedlings! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea punkin I never thought of the seedlings. giving away tons of extra produce from the farm is my usual thing, but never thought of the plants to help people grow their own.

I start about 2500 cabbage plants in early spring and more later and could easily send some to others. great idea you gave me!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
yea punkin I never thought of the seedlings. giving away tons of extra produce from the farm is my usual thing, but never thought of the plants to help people grow their own.

I start about 2500 cabbage plants in early spring and more later and could easily send some to others. great idea you gave me!
Wow, with 2500 cabbage plants, I would want to send some to others (like about 2485 of them) :lol:

I had this one guy last year who was doing his first ever garden. He said he only had about $10 to spend. He was too proud to just take stuff, so I loaded him up with armloads of tomatoes, peppers, whatever I had. Turned out, he was a new neighbor from just down a ways. I could see his garden as I drove to or from home. I noticed both he and his wife worked in it most evenings keeping it neat and tidy. I know they got some good veggies from it.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
There was a lady bum that lived at the park that I used to take my dogs to in Houston. I used to bring her a little bag of fresh fruit (her request) and toiletry items like wipes, tissues, hand soap etc. I also gave her cans of off for the horrid mosquitos we had in Houston. Once I gave her a pillow and a blanket.

People would bring her fast food quite a bit, so one day I just asked her what she would really like to eat and she said fruit. I was sorta shocked at first but then I got it. After I went shopping at the store I would wash all the fruit I bought and set aside some for her; a baggie of grapes or pineapple chunks, an orange, an apple a few banannas etc. I would also make her sandwiches when I was making lunch for my daughter's lunch, I just made an extra one or two for her. (Her nick name was Lucky, but her real name was Regina.)

A group of us got her qualified for a "gold card" so she could go to the hospital once when she was really sick. That was the last time I saw her before I moved.

ETA Regina was not a beggar and never asked for anything unless I offered. From her stories she suffered greatly as a child...

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
About 15 years ago, when my daughter was in high school, our next door neighbor at the time told us of a family which actually lived only a few blocks away. Dad had left the home that year because he could not handle that his wife had a terminal brain tumor. There were four or five kids, and it was early December. Mom was on Hospice, and had a very short time to live. There was no one to give the kids a Christmas.

The neighbor who told me this had four kids herself. We got together and had our kids earn money and get donations, and then on Christmas Eve her two oldest boys kept the kids from that family occupied while the rest of us came in (with the help of Hospice) and set up a full on Christmas for the family. They had absolutely nothing, of course, and we set up a tree, decorations, Santa gifts and a turkey dinner in this very quiet hours where the mom was actually only barely able to know what was happening. She passed before New Years, but her kids had her with them for a Christmas that they still do not know where it came from. Boy, that was a life changing year.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That is literally what it is all about to me!
great story!

DianeB

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Right now, I put money into the little donation box at Raley's. Also, have $8 taken out of my account each month for Humane Society. I should donate more of my time. No excuse really. Just forgetful.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
About 15 years ago, when my daughter was in high school, our next door neighbor at the time told us of a family which actually lived only a few blocks away. Dad had left the home that year because he could not handle that his wife had a terminal brain tumor. There were four or five kids, and it was early December. Mom was on Hospice, and had a very short time to live. There was no one to give the kids a Christmas.

The neighbor who told me this had four kids herself. We got together and had our kids earn money and get donations, and then on Christmas Eve her two oldest boys kept the kids from that family occupied while the rest of us came in (with the help of Hospice) and set up a full on Christmas for the family. They had absolutely nothing, of course, and we set up a tree, decorations, Santa gifts and a turkey dinner in this very quiet hours where the mom was actually only barely able to know what was happening. She passed before New Years, but her kids had her with them for a Christmas that they still do not know where it came from. Boy, that was a life changing year.
This story made me cry! What a simply blessed thing to do....makes my heart swell to think how wonderful a thing that was for this poor, sorrowed family. I hope I can serve someone like that one day.

Latest posts