Your Charities and Good Deeds

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Right now i am an active volunteer for our local Humane Society. They do not get funding from the ASPCA. Their only funding comes from local donations.
I foster bottle babies, kittens. We have also fostered puppies. I also volunteer at special events and have volunteered at the hospital. The saturday before leaving to visit the folks, I volunteered for their 6th annual Howloween party. It was hard work and I had a blast. We raised over $5000.00 which goes to the animals in the shelter. It is a no kill shelter, and the animals are housed in little rooms and get training and lots of handling from volunteers. This winter we want to be trained to foster older dogs, that need some rehab, before being placed for adoption.

Years ago two of my friends and I started the "Easter Basket Project" in our community. Our 3 daughters were (and still are) best friends and were around 9 years old. Even though we were all fairly poor, we felt blessed with what we had compared to the many homeless families. We wanted for our daughters to understand why we felt that way and also to help some families. We went around and got donations from a few friends and businesses and put together easter baskets for kids in one of the shelters. The first year I also borrowed a friends polaroid and then took pictures of the kids receiving their baskets. then gave the pictures to the parents. The kids were dressed in their easter finery. Many of the parents had tears in their eyes as we explained that the easter bunny had asked us to drop these baskets off, since he couldn't find these kids. But he thought we might know were they were.
In the following years the project got bigger as another shelter opened up and we received more donations. At one time we put together about 200 easter baskets. We included teens and pregnant moms. We managed to put a stuffed animal in each basket. When my daughter was in highschool (we managed to get her into a good private high school on scholarships) she organized the whole thing through her school. The kids had lots of fun putting baskets together for other teens in shelters. By the time my daughter graduated she and one of her good friend were tied for the highest number of volunteer hours. They both got a scholarship.
We also donated a lot of easter goodies to the soup kitchen and colored eggs for them, since they also handed out makeshift easter baskets.
Before we started this, no-one was doing anything for easter for the kids. Now there are all kinds of events for kids to attend to for free.
We also give away produce from our farm to anyone who needs it. there used to be a fellow who walks all over our part of town gathering cans for recycling. whenever we saw him coming we would run out back and pick some plums or peaches and give him a small bag of them. he loved them.

jackiedon

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This has been such an interesting thread and so many great ideas.

I am a CASA volunteer. CASA stands for Court Approved Special Advocate. I am an advocate for children who have been taken away from their parents by DHS due to neglect or abuse. I have 2 cases going on right now.

I really the idea of an afterschool program for girls that would help so many girls.

I appreciate everyone and all they do.

jackie

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most of my volunteering has to do with animals... I walk dogs for the SPCA and I foster dogs for a pit bull rescue. I have two of my own dogs (both pit bulls) registered as therapy dogs and they visit nursing homes and also an afterschool reading program. Kids who are having trouble reading read the dogs stories, while the dogs lie around on the floor and get belly rubs... it's a win-win :)

I also draw portraits so whenever a local animal charity needs some fundraising I'll donate a custom pet portrait... I've also done some for the Boys and Girls club and Kiwanis. I don't have a lot of extra money for donating to things, but I can donate time and my talent for sketching.

I also volunteer with NB theraputic riding association and help them with teaching disabled kids how to ride... I LOVE that... I started doing that in university because I couldn't afford to ride myself and I just wanted to be in a barn again... then I found how much fun it is and never stopped.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
hwillm1977 said:
I also volunteer with NB theraputic riding association and help them with teaching disabled kids how to ride... I LOVE that... I started doing that in university because I couldn't afford to ride myself and I just wanted to be in a barn again... then I found how much fun it is and never stopped.
I did this several years ago when I lived near a TRA. I enjoyed it very much too.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was a side walker for diabled at my barn in PA....long time ago. Then it was "new"---LOL

very rewarding definitely.