Your Charities and Good Deeds

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Thank you, but it wasn't me, it was the Lord.

So knock off the sniffling ! LOL Kidding..I just dont' deserve the recognition, when the Lord does it all.

Speaking of that, just got an email from the director of the volunteer organization which arranged for the youth group that cleared my garden of trees and did the rototilling. The kids had videotaped an interview with me, which is scary, but they showed it at their church last week and this director gave a talk about the organization. I have volunteered with them as well, even though physically i can't do much. But they are in need of someone to do some writing, and since that was my profession long ago, the director has asked me to do some PR stuff. I actually worked a lot in motivational writing and some fundraising for issues I believe in. I hope I can help this organization, as they so totally have the right idea: They have a pool of individuals and churchs who volunteer certain skills, and then they actively seek out people with needs and match them with appropriate volunteers.

In addition to the writing, I also have volunteered my cooking skills as needed. I had a catering business on the side for many years...hence my handle of LdyChef. The 2K thing indicated when I started the business, in 2000.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I give all of our used items (and sometimes not used) to Goodwill. For a few years we struggled financially and this was my main source of donations.

I always pick up those food donation slips/cards you can buy at the grocery store. Meijer has had them out for awhile.

Now that things are getting better for us, we are finally able to do more :) Last year, as we will this year, the kids and I fill a shoebox and it is sent to a child in another country. Its filled to specifiy gender and age. My kids love it, they enjoying picking out fun toys/games and I add toothbruhes, etc. It is sponsored by Samaritan's Purse.

This year they sent a "catalog" that had wish items that could be donated. After reading all the great posts on this thread and the other Christmas gift thread, I am going to give donations as gifts to several family members and friends. For example you can donate a mosquito nets or baby chicks! :woot

My next step is volunteerism, involving my kids of course. I'd love to get involved with Habitat for Humanity.

Love this thread such great ideas and I love :love reading about others' generosity.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
what a great thread. It is inspiring and motivating to see all the many ways we can give and help others. One of my family's favorite organizations is www.kiva.org.

They make micro loans to people all over the world who just need some starting out money to improve their business and quality of life. The money you give is a loan and is expected to be repaid. When our loans are repaid we pick out someone else to lend to. Usually I pick farmers or those with animal businesses.

Another charity I've been researching lately is Heifer International. (www.heifer.org)They provide people with animal care and business training, then give the people a (usually) pregnant animal, for instance a cow, but many types of animals are used. The person then agrees to give someone else in their community one of the offspring of their animals and that person agrees to pass on offspring, and so on, and thereby help the entire community.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
tamlynn--we must be "giving" sisters!! I LOVE the concept of the microloan and how it encourages someone to really work for their own betterment. It's not a handout at all. I've seen documentaries of some of the incredible things people (mostly women) have done with microloans.

I was logging onto this thread to put in a good word for Heifer International, but you beat me to it. This one, as Tamlynn well describes, is a gift that keeps on giving and giving and giving. My kids were such a great help in the CSA gardens this year that one of my thank-yous to them was "first dibs" on picking out a Heifer gift for another family. Son chose a flock of geese, daughter a flock of chickens and I chose a beehive. What fun! And it totally matches my own values for self reliance, plus passing on the gift. Very, very affordable, too.

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals,

good to hear postive things about Heifer Int. We got a catalog in the mail recently and it just intrigued me. Thanks for your input!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey i was just wondering if anyone had brought up Heifer Int. i just LOVE them - the whole concept is just fabulous.

i love it b/c it matches our values, its sharing how we live, and you can choose the littlest to the biggest gift.

yay them!
:)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
hey i was just wondering if anyone had brought up Heifer Int. i just LOVE them - the whole concept is just fabulous.

i love it b/c it matches our values, its sharing how we live, and you can choose the littlest to the biggest gift.

yay them!
Yeah--someday I hope to be wealthy enough to give away a whole "Noah's Ark" (one of their choices) or at least a water buffalo! Not trying to sound all altruistic here, but this is one circumstance under which I can imagine wishing to be really, really wealthy. It would be such an amazing feeling to give away 1000s of animals that could set people on the path to less than poverty and more self sufficiency!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
ohiofarmgirl said:

yay them!
Yeah--someday I hope to be wealthy enough to give away a whole "Noah's Ark" (one of their choices) or at least a water buffalo! Not trying to sound all altruistic here, but this is one circumstance under which I can imagine wishing to be really, really wealthy. It would be such an amazing feeling to give away 1000s of animals that could set people on the path to less than poverty and more self sufficiency!
That was really sweet me&thtegals! I know exactly how you feel!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
One of the companies I own supports a wildlife rehab center called Skye's Spirit Wildlife Reahab center.

http://www.skyes-spirit.com/

This is a place where folks can take wild animals too and they may be able to be put back into the wild to live their lives as they were born to after a full recovery.

For as little as $5 a month, you too can sponsor and help a wild animal. $60 a year can help 2-3 small animals to be treated and released.

http://www.skyes-spirit.com/index_files/pledge.htm

I also support my sons local Boy Scout troop making sure we raise enough funds to pay for trips and such, if we fall short I will often chip in the rest as long as all the boys made a good effort to raise the money themselves.

Latest posts