Your homes.

Islay

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wow, all of your homes are absolutely gorgeous! And so much space! We have precisely five rooms in our house, and this is the sum total of our outside space:

1171_img_0004.jpg

1171_img_0011.jpg

Those photos were taken about 6 weeks ago - there's a lot less space now! This is our first year of trying to be more self sufficient, so it's my practice year, before we move somewhere with a bit more outside space next year :fl :fl

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wow, Tamlyn, talk about sprawl! It always amazes me to see the development in other parts of the country. Around here it's so old, there are old homes with acreage all over, the acreage is being sold off and developed, but it'll never look like that.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Wow, Tamlynn!!!! I moved out of a subdivision similar 2 years ago.

I figured being in SoCal, there would be alot more pools, but the lots aren't really big enough-are they?

There are still alot of things you can do in a suburban lot, it's true. It's great you are able to keep chickens!!

and Islay--you gotta make the most of what you have. Wow! :)

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Islay,

I feel your pain, we were fortunate enough at my grans house when I lived in Essex to have a fairly large garden, it did, however back onto a walkway that ran into a park and had a gate, so we'd always get vandalized.

I had family living in Kent who had a small hobby farm, and my auntie jeanne and uncle bunny do much of their gardening on the 10x10 plot they have outside their mobile home in kent!

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Wow, Tamlynn!!!! I moved out of a subdivision similar 2 years ago.

I figured being in SoCal, there would be alot more pools, but the lots aren't really big enough-are they?

There are still alot of things you can do in a suburban lot, it's true. It's great you are able to keep chickens!!

and Islay--you gotta make the most of what you have. Wow! :)
No, not a ton of pools. For one thing if you have a pool, you have zero room for anything else. You walk out your back door and fall into the pool. Second, we are only 2 miles from the beach. So anyone can hit the beach without much trouble and the temperatures never get very hot here. None of these houses have air conditioning either.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Oh, thank you - I wish it still looked like it came out of a magazine, that's very sweet. It took years, though, to get the yard to this point, with lots of failures :) I'd have to move in for awhile :p

Latest posts