Your Weather

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
My chicken water keeps freezing, thier eggs are exploding....and Aghh my rooster has frostbite on his comb...do thier combs heal up and look nice again in the summer or do the tips always stay black afterward? Never over wintered birds before..
Ughhhhh! I have found 3 frozen eggs today, I just feed them to the dogs LOL. I've got my waterer elevated now on cinder blocks and it didnt freeze tonight despite the weather being -17. Did you try putting hot hot hot water in the waterer? I'm putting hot water in our waterer and the chickens love it, it cools down over time, but they love the hot water.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My hubby wont let me post the pic of our fire, LOL. Rmemeber when I waid we had the woodstove going at full tilt? Well it tried to go out the roof. It is in its own little house outside.
Farmer kitty, it is almost like an outside wood boiler but home made. I think I have a picture of it in my journal.
Anyway, Hubby rebuilt the roof on sunday. He had to tear off the original roof seeing as how it was smoldering badly. Yea, we are ok, Thanks.
It actually got up to 15deg today. But with all the lights in the coop now, it is downright balmy down there.
Morel, The blackened parts do not come back and it is very painful for them. They say you are supposed to cut the black parts off. There is a thread going on at BYC right now.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
roosmom said:
My hubby wont let me post the pic of our fire, LOL. Rmemeber when I waid we had the woodstove going at full tilt? Well it tried to go out the roof. It is in its own little house outside.
Farmer kitty, it is almost like an outside wood boiler but home made. I think I have a picture of it in my journal.
Anyway, Hubby rebuilt the roof on sunday. He had to tear off the original roof seeing as how it was smoldering badly. Yea, we are ok, Thanks.
It actually got up to 15deg today. But with all the lights in the coop now, it is downright balmy down there.
Morel, The blackened parts do not come back and it is very painful for them. They say you are supposed to cut the black parts off. There is a thread going on at BYC right now.
Eek! ... a few of my girls have a little bit of white on the edges of their combs, I don't know if that is the start of frostbite or what, I've never seen it before. Mine are a cold hardy cross breed, What do you think?

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
roosmom said:
I'm glad that it didn't do any harm to the house and he was able to rebuild the roof right away.

captchris

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
here in nortwestern ontario it is averaging about -20 c we have snow all most everday however not areal lot at one time

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Roosmom- glad you and your house are OK- but talk about raising the roof- What a job to have to do in the freezing weather.
It's pretty bad when you look forward to 15 degrees as warming up. :barnie

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I can see the dark clouds coming across the lake...we're in for a winter storm here today...most of Ontario is under various weather warnings...I am really happy that I am not travelling today:>) Supposed to get al real good dumping of snow here, and other parts of the province are in for freezing rain. Happy to be toasty warm with a fire going

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
I can see the dark clouds coming across the lake...we're in for a winter storm here today...most of Ontario is under various weather warnings...I am really happy that I am not travelling today:>) Supposed to get al real good dumping of snow here, and other parts of the province are in for freezing rain. Happy to be toasty warm with a fire going
LOL I am! ... I have to drive 30 minutes south to Belleville to get my dad from the train station in about 40 minutes and it's started to rain a bit here. We already had a good 6 inches of snow last night, so I'm hoping our neighbour plows the driveway before I get back.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You be careful out there Lupin, it hasn't started here yet...but we are in for about 30 cm of snow between now and tomorrow.

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It's snowing here. The plows either aren't out or not keeping up. We had to take Kute Kitten in for an appointment this morning and coming home was nasty 35-40 mph tops in what is normally 55 mph zones.