You're Not Allowed To Be Self Sufficient

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'll admit it... i still drink Cherry Coke. SHAME!

I'll buy it when the cans are on sale and a 12 pack will last me almost a month but still, i feel guilty every time i pop one of those cans open. I hide when I drink them too, don't want the kids to see!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
valmom said:
Now there are a lot more choices of non-HFCS bread products but still no hamburger/hot dog rolls that I can find.
Are potato rolls sold near you? They're usually HFCS free. :)

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Unfortunately potato bread isn't available up here. New England is home now, but it is sorely lacking in some of the amenities I grew up with. Like potato breads and scrapple! Oh, great, now I want potato bread...I can picture it- I can practically taste it :drool

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't made the change yet. I still buy .99 tv dinners for Hubby's lunches for when I don't feel like cooking and preparing. I buy cheese because my son doesn't like my farmer's cheese. I buy cereal because I don't always feel like making oatmeal with millet (or quinoa or amaranth). We're GF, but son also can't tolerate corn or soy. His diet is so limited that to deny his weekend morning GF donuts seems almost mean.

Need to try harder.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
But, if you deny some food that you really enjoy and can have that gives pleasure, it just sabotages the whole healthy eating thing because you resent every vegetable and healthy food you eat. Compromises that make the food change sustainable are a good thing, from my experience. (I just bought a bag of pretzel M&Ms yesterday. I can NOT resist that combo of sweet, chocolate and salt. And yes, it isn't exactly a health food!)

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did amazing on my diet last year. By Oct 25 I'd lost 99 pounds. Then a family thing happened, tore apart my self-confidence and regained 55 pounds. Can't seem to get back in the groove of it.

S

sunsaver

aggieterpkatie said:
I think what they were trying to convey was that it was harder or less convenient for the average American busy family to eat healthy. I agree they did a poor job though, because nobody shoves fast food into your mouth or forces you through the drive through. I think they should have focused more on WHY healthy food costs more (it's not subsidized) and how the food industry can make more money processing crap than it can selling whole foods like apples or broccoli. Maybe they could have shown how to prepare real food ahead of time so they can "grab and go" if they needed to, instead of stopping by a fast food joint.
Corn and soybean crops are heavily subsidized by the corporate government because they can be altered with modern chemistry to taste like, or look like, anything. Chemicals from other manufacturing processes that were once consider waste products, find new life as "food additives". Calcium Chloride? Titanium Dioxide? Sodium Benzoate? Why would you want to eat these things? They can find some other place to dump their toxic waste. Not in my body!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
aggieterpkatie said:
I think what they were trying to convey was that it was harder or less convenient for the average American busy family to eat healthy. I agree they did a poor job though, because nobody shoves fast food into your mouth or forces you through the drive through. I think they should have focused more on WHY healthy food costs more (it's not subsidized) and how the food industry can make more money processing crap than it can selling whole foods like apples or broccoli. Maybe they could have shown how to prepare real food ahead of time so they can "grab and go" if they needed to, instead of stopping by a fast food joint.
Corn and soybean crops are heavily subsidized by the corporate government because they can be altered with modern chemistry to taste like, or look like, anything. Chemicals from other manufacturing processes that were once consider waste products, find new life as "food additives". Calcium Chloride? Titanium Dioxide? Sodium Benzoate? Why would you want to eat these things? They can find some other place to dump their toxic waste. Not in my body!
I may be wrong, but it seems to me that corn and soybeans were only put into other products because we grow such a surplus of them. Michael Pollan gave a really good timeline/explanation in Omnivore's Dilemma and I can't quite remember when they were first subsidized, but I do know that they've only just recently (in the last few decades) started configuring corn and beans in every thing under the sun. It's all kind of a vicious cycle!

S

sunsaver

When the megafood corps. realized that they could turn corn oil and high fructose corn syrup into almost anything using modern chemistry, they started lobbing congress to subsidize corn so they could buy it at a price that's far less than the actual cost of production. This means huge profits, and toxic food. You should really watch the whole film in order to understand how corrupt our food system and government is, regardless of your political affiliation.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just tried to add those two films to my netflix queue but can't. They are "instant play"s, which I can't do since I don't have sound on computer. If anyone has them on dvd, please PM me.

Wanted to mention that when I was dirt poor (I'm talking homeless) and would go to the food banks, there were very rarely decent veggies and fruits. It was almost always just bread, cake, pie and other junky food. Every once in a while there was milk or yogurt but never meat. When they did have fruits and veggies, they were usually digusting and rotting. Since I had no money, going to the grocery was out, and since we had no home, raising my own was definitely out.

Now, I almost always have a pot inside the house, with veggies or a little fruit bush. Always during winter. Love fresh tomatoes in the winter! Or green beans. Or cucumbers.