You're Not Allowed To Be Self Sufficient

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thankfully our local food bank is a good one. My mom volunteers there every couple of weeks. They do get in fresh veggies and frozen meat. Sometimes they even get local donations of fresh veggies and meat and eggs. I've given them eggs during heavy laying cycles. But they also get plenty of bakery castoffs, processed packaged foods, etc. My mom is always curious to watch what people coming for food choose to take (they are guided through stocked shelves by a volunteer). Many pass up onions and green peppers as they just don't know how to cook with them. The older adults love the fresh ingredient stuff, though.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
food banks tend to rely on donations and 'things that last forever' in a box.
some food is better than nothing but if you can hit a local area that donates fresh, you are in the good for sure

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I volunteered at "The Hester House" in Houston, TX. They had a food pantry AND a big garden, pecan and loquat (fruit) trees. The fruits of the garden etc. were passed along in the bag of food the people got. I wish more food pantries could do this.

The weirdest places that I've found soy listed in ingredients? Relish and tuna packed in water. :barnie

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
valmom said:
Like potato breads and scrapple! :drool
My dear Valmom,
While you may find me a bit coarse for bringing this to your attention, do you actually know how/from what SCRAPPLE is made?
I'll keep it to myself unless I get a PM asking for the answer or someone else posts it.
You may not crave it quite so often after that. :idunno

As for the title of this string, I find it difficult to imagine that anyone in the "gummint" is in any way going to attempt to limit how or upon what I am allowed to spend my money. If I wish to live a more self sufficient life style, who are they to "limit that" Why don't they prosecute folks who "BREAK THE LAW" rather than pass laws to make currently law abiding citizens "criminals"?

Once they think they have that much power and wish to limit my freedom to THAT extent, I'd respond with my USMC F/A 18 pilot friends' response to the Iranians when they threatened to send up interceptors after him..."Go ahead and send 'em up, I'll wait!" :smack
//-... -//
- .-. .. -- ... . .- -.. ...
//BT//
Trim sends

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i tried donating 11 dozen eggs to a couple local food banks and got turned away. One volunteer told me she felt horrible turning me away because these families need the fresh food but it is policy not to take eggs. I gave her my email address and she passed it on to a few families, they now stop by occasionally for eggs.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
While you may find me a bit coarse for bringing this to your attention, do you actually know how/from what SCRAPPLE is made?
Mmmm...Scrapple! I swore I'd never eat it until I moved to where I am now. I love it, but it has to be sliced thinly and cooked until crispy! :drool I love it, even though I don't like to think about what is in it. :lol:

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
garden pixy said:
i tried donating 11 dozen eggs to a couple local food banks and got turned away. One volunteer told me she felt horrible turning me away because these families need the fresh food but it is policy not to take eggs. I gave her my email address and she passed it on to a few families, they now stop by occasionally for eggs.
I have been volunteering at a rural soup kitchen / foodbank for some time now. The changes I have seen in rules and regulations are staggering. Our good-for-nothing government has worked it's way into areas that should be off limits to to the morons who claim to have "our best interests" in mind. Initially I got chickens so that I could give eggs to the kitchen. I started out with 24 chickens and hauled 4 to 5 dozen eggs to the kitchen each week. Many of our local farmers would provide beef, pork, and chickens at no cost. When many sources are available there is no real burden on any one source. But that's all gone now. Our food kitchen is bound by law to turn down all offers from individuals. Even day-old bakeries and restaurants are not allowed to make donations. Mom-n-pop companies must fill out reams of paperwork and send it into the government for approval. They tell me that 98% are turned down. There is a strong movement in Indiana by the Latino lawyers to provide "special" services to immigrants. Both legal and illegal.

I say "downsize government - all government!"

I would quit my involvement with the kitchen but over the years I have made wonderful friends with many of the needy old farmer men and many farm widows.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
valmom said:
Like potato breads and scrapple! :drool
My dear Valmom,
I'll keep it to myself unless I get a PM asking for the answer or someone else posts it.
You may not crave it quite so often after that. :idunno
:gig Yes, what scrapple is made of doesn't bear too much scrutiny. That doesn't change the sheer deliciousness of it! That's why they call it "scrapple".

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Icu4dzs said:
Mmmm...Scrapple! I swore I'd never eat it until I moved to where I am now. I love it, but it has to be sliced thinly and cooked until crispy! :drool I love it, even though I don't like to think about what is in it. :lol:
The same might be said for sausages ;)

The old recipes for scrapple that I have found include organ meats; is this what your are referring to, Icu4dzs? A recipe I have for the German precursor to scrapple (called Pannhas in the part of Germany my DH grew up in) is made with buckwheat flour, onions, blood- and liver-sausage, and maybe a few other things - I don't have the book nearby. More modern recipes (with, no doubt, the squeamish in mind) leave out the offal, and just use well cooked, and shredded pork. I really want to make some ... and now that I have found a place to buy nice blood sausages I will, maybe this Autumn.