You're Not Allowed To Be Self Sufficient

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Ooo, I have friends traveling through PA as we speak. They will be bringing me back a big chunk-o-Scrapple in exchange for kitty sitting for them! :drool

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ORChick said:
aggieterpkatie said:
Icu4dzs said:
While you may find me a bit coarse for bringing this to your attention, do you actually know how/from what SCRAPPLE is made?
Mmmm...Scrapple! I swore I'd never eat it until I moved to where I am now. I love it, but it has to be sliced thinly and cooked until crispy! :drool I love it, even though I don't like to think about what is in it. :lol:
The same might be said for sausages ;)

The old recipes for scrapple that I have found include organ meats; is this what your are referring to, Icu4dzs? A recipe I have for the German precursor to scrapple (called Pannhas in the part of Germany my DH grew up in) is made with buckwheat flour, onions, blood- and liver-sausage, and maybe a few other things - I don't have the book nearby. More modern recipes (with, no doubt, the squeamish in mind) leave out the offal, and just use well cooked, and shredded pork. I really want to make some ... and now that I have found a place to buy nice blood sausages I will, maybe this Autumn.
Scrapple is made with brain if what I have learned is true. I have one rule in my eating life. I don't eat liver and I don't eat brain. (just my personal quirk I guess) ;)
//BT//
Trim sends

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
ORChick said:
aggieterpkatie said:
Mmmm...Scrapple! I swore I'd never eat it until I moved to where I am now. I love it, but it has to be sliced thinly and cooked until crispy! :drool I love it, even though I don't like to think about what is in it. :lol:
The same might be said for sausages ;)

The old recipes for scrapple that I have found include organ meats; is this what your are referring to, Icu4dzs? A recipe I have for the German precursor to scrapple (called Pannhas in the part of Germany my DH grew up in) is made with buckwheat flour, onions, blood- and liver-sausage, and maybe a few other things - I don't have the book nearby. More modern recipes (with, no doubt, the squeamish in mind) leave out the offal, and just use well cooked, and shredded pork. I really want to make some ... and now that I have found a place to buy nice blood sausages I will, maybe this Autumn.
Scrapple is made with brain if what I have learned is true. I have one rule in my eating life. I don't eat liver and I don't eat brain. (just my personal quirk I guess) ;)
//BT//
Trim sends
Brain? Really? Well, I think I would prefer to avoid that. But I am rather partial to liver. Just one more reason to make one's own, I suppose. I haven't done it yet, but I plan to; its just cornmeal mush mixed with meat and seasonings, not hard to do.