Hi, I'm Tuco from Omaha Nebraska

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I live smack dab in the middle of my small town. I have a garden in beds in the front yard and chickens in the back yard. It is amazing what I can grow to feed us all year around. I can, freeze or dehydrate the extra.

We just bought a place with 8 acres, I can't wait to dive in and start planting. I am very interested in the permaculture also and want all kinds of berries, fruit and nut trees. You can do a lot on a small city lot though, if you plant it right. This is a good site to learn a lot on. Also check out www.theeasygarden.com, sister site to this one.

Welcome to SS, lots of friendly people here!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :frow One of our members, @Amiga has a keen interest in permaculture and recently completed a course on it, I think you will enjoy chatting with her. Back to bikes (sorry ;)) I had 5 so far, a scooter, a Kawasaki KH125, then 2 Yamahas, a '65 model Twin that got chopped and an XJ, both 650, followed years later by another scooter. Since I became a mom I swapped 2 wheels for 4, but I do miss the rides...
You say you're a musician? What instrument(s) do you play? I love rock music, especially the guitar part and have had a lifelong dream of learning to play guitar properly. One day, when I have time, I'll take lessons. I'm too impatient to teach myself LOL

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hello and welcome Tuco! (hope you don't mind if I picture you as a big lovable Rottweiller- my friend's dog is named Tuco)
Sounds like you will have lots of interesting stories to tell us! I look forward to reading your adventures in urban homesteading!

Myhouseisazoo2

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello and :welcome from sunny and hot Arizona!
There's quite a bit that can be done even with a small lot to be self sufficient. I recently got my first home and plan on turning the entire front yard into raised beds and have some chickens in the back. There's lots of fascinating things to learn here!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Tuco, yeah they're all planning on wearing black for today's game. Hubby's going tailgating, and wants to borrow my black, western hat. Don't know if I want him to take it or not.

Amiga

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome, Tuco! Sometimes I forget there are people in the world with so much in common with me. While my musical preference is, stereotypically, bluegrass, old timey:welcome and gospel, I do play an autoharp and enjoy jams with my friends. I have owned a few motorcycles and enjoyed riding tens of thousands of miles on them. There is an R1100RT in our family, also, frustratedearthmother.:)

I recently earned my Permaculture Design Certificate through an online course with Geoff Lawton. It was a rush to take the course and have my questions answered by someone who's been practicing permaculture and teaching it for 30 years or so. I have been apparently practicing permaculture for nearly 20 years myself, though I came around to it from some different routes than many do.

So, if you want to talk hugelkultur, rain collection systems, small duck flock management, native, medicinal, edible plants, small-space gardening, forest gardening, square foot gardening, permaculture ethics, let's do.

Again, welcome.:welcome

Tuco

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow, you guys are the best! I've joined other forums in the past (on unrelated subjects) and was pretty much just ignored on them (ratrodbikes comes to mind), but you guys make me feel very welcome here!!!

I live smack dab in the middle of my small town. I have a garden in beds in the front yard and chickens in the back yard. It is amazing what I can grow to feed us all year around. I can, freeze or dehydrate the extra.

We just bought a place with 8 acres, I can't wait to dive in and start planting. I am very interested in the permaculture also and want all kinds of berries, fruit and nut trees. You can do a lot on a small city lot though, if you plant it right. This is a good site to learn a lot on. Also check out www.theeasygarden.com, sister site to this one.

Welcome to SS, lots of friendly people here!

That's pretty much what I'm hoping to do. Permaculture guilds (and other gardens, probably a keyhole or two, back to Eden, etc to grow annuals) in the front, back and side yards (I plan to use every inch I can). Plus chickens, rabbits, bees and catfish in the back yard. Although I'll probably only have 1/2 acre or so, so I'm going to try to do things that I can do in a small amount of space.

Tuco

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! :frow One of our members, @Amiga has a keen interest in permaculture and recently completed a course on it, I think you will enjoy chatting with her. Back to bikes (sorry ;)) I had 5 so far, a scooter, a Kawasaki KH125, then 2 Yamahas, a '65 model Twin that got chopped and an XJ, both 650, followed years later by another scooter. Since I became a mom I swapped 2 wheels for 4, but I do miss the rides...
You say you're a musician? What instrument(s) do you play? I love rock music, especially the guitar part and have had a lifelong dream of learning to play guitar properly. One day, when I have time, I'll take lessons. I'm too impatient to teach myself LOL

In my bands I play bass guitar, but I do most of my song writing on guitar. I also kinda-sorta-but-not-really play piano and drums. I'm self taught. I can pretty much pick up any instrument and make up some sort of song on it (although it may not be pretty ;))

I never saw an XJ650 before (I just googled it). I thought it was going to be basically the same thing as an XS, but it's not.

Here is my first bike, a 1972 Yamaha XS2 (XS650) named Boneshaker. (hopefully this picture works) This is kinda old because I didn't have a fender on the sidecar tire yet.

866906836_3ac5deb0d3_z.jpg

Latest posts