100 Things Challenge - Join Me!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I should sell the cabelas meat grinder/sausage stuffer I bought - only used it a few times and I just hate all the cleaning up afterwards.. ;)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
That's the website! You are crazy efficient with your Google searching, girl! :D

I really badly need to do some purging, but I have so much going on right now it is hard to focus on getting rid of things. Maybe having this thread around will keep me motivated to do some shedding in small batches.

Books, like personal letters, are one of those items I have a hard time getting rid of. I did get rid of a bunch a few years ago, when I moved, though. Some were really nice books too! I just knew I couldn't keep them because I was downsizing. I try to just keep reference books, good cookbooks, classics, and a few that really speak to me.

Kitchen tools are another category of "things" that bugs me. I have a bunch of items that I only use very rarely, but I bought them because I do need them every once in a while. I could go ahead and classify my canning equipment in this area, since it is seasonal. Then there are cookie cutters (very rarely used), ice cream maker (seasonal), extra food processor, etc., etc. :p I can't store most of that in my kitchen, because I try to keep the kitchen decluttered . . . so . . . . :barnie I have boxes of Kitchen stuff with no permanent storage space. :hit
Kitchen clutter including cookbooks is a serious pet peeve of mine! And I keep getting cookboks for my birthday! :barnie

I do not have a pastry cutter, I learn how to do it with 2 knives. I have an antique "batter beater" which works to whips up batter, egg white, stir sauces (awesome for this!) and mash potatos. I don't have a lemon juicer - a HARD squeeze and wring gets out the juice. I don't have any chopper tools - I've learned how to use a knife efficiently. I don't have a mixer - my arm is perfectly attached and equipped with muscles. I don't have a bread maker - I learned how to make bread when I was a toddler. I do have a yogurt maker (anyone want it?). I did buy a grater/slicer gadget and I don't regret it. We use it almost every day. I don't have any cookie cutters. My mom would always use the edge of a glass to make circle cookies and we could decorate them however. I'm thinking I'll start making square cookies - more efficient - less rolling out the dough. I found two different ways to make ice cream without an ice cream maker - can't wait to try them!

Canning equipment? - I'm OK with that. :)

When I lived in a house too small to have guests over, I only had 2 plates, 2 cups, a set of silverware. It was great. Now we have stuff for 6 people, and a few odds and ends extra. I never had a microwave either. My fiance is addicted to microwave. :rolleyes:

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Kitchen clutter including cookbooks is a serious pet peeve of mine! And I keep getting cookboks for my birthday! :barnie

I do not have a pastry cutter, I learn how to do it with 2 knives. I have an antique "batter beater" which works to whips up batter, egg white, stir sauces (awesome for this!) and mash potatos. I don't have a lemon juicer - a HARD squeeze and wring gets out the juice. I don't have any chopper tools - I've learned how to use a knife efficiently. I don't have a mixer - my arm is perfectly attached and equipped with muscles. I don't have a bread maker - I learned how to make bread when I was a toddler. I do have a yogurt maker (anyone want it?). I did buy a grater/slicer gadget and I don't regret it. We use it almost every day. I don't have any cookie cutters. My mom would always use the edge of a glass to make circle cookies and we could decorate them however. I'm thinking I'll start making square cookies - more efficient - less rolling out the dough. I found two different ways to make ice cream without an ice cream maker - can't wait to try them!

Canning equipment? - I'm OK with that. :)

When I lived in a house too small to have guests over, I only had 2 plates, 2 cups, a set of silverware. It was great. Now we have stuff for 6 people, and a few odds and ends extra. I never had a microwave either. My fiance is addicted to microwave. :rolleyes:
Ha ha! I got rid of a bunch of cookbooks that people gave me. Most of my favorite recipes I find on-line and print them out. I have 4 favorite cookbooks (really nice ones with good recipes throughout) that are my display cookbooks, a few that are essential reference cookbooks (Better Homes & Gardens, How to Preserve Food, etc.) That is more than enough for me! :)

Now, I DO keep a pastry cutter handy, because it is something I use at least weekly along with a pastry brush. But I don't have an egg beater (I use a whisk), or mixer, or breadmaker either. I manually squeeze citrus too. I love and religiously use my food processor. And no, I won't give up my cookie cutters. :p Every once in a long while they are nice to have for when I make cookies for guests. I even bought the barnyard series . . . . :hide

No microwave. Even got the husband to admit we didn't need one in our new place!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wildsky you are HI-larious!!

um.. i thought this was a horrible idea until i read THIS:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100827/ap_on_re_us/us_lost_in_home

Body of Las Vegas woman found in clutter at home

LAS VEGAS A four-month search for a missing Las Vegas woman came to a ghastly end this week when her husband found her corpse in their home amid a labyrinth of squalor that had been impassable even to search dogs.

Bill James apparently had no idea that the body of his pack-rat wife, Billie Jean, was under the same roof as he helped police scour the home and the Nevada desert for any sign of her. Then he spotted the feet of the body poking out of a floor-to-ceiling pile of junk Wednesday, revealing in shocking detail the woman's penchant for hoarding.........

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Huh, same kinda thing happened at my friend's apartment. There was this older guy that lived next to the laundry room and often had his door open, so you could see inside. My friend said it was just filled with STUFF, including foodstuff that was piled next to the sink. :sick Well, my friend noticed the guy wasn't hangin' around for a while and asked the building manager and the manager checked the apartment and everything. Then weeks later the place started to reek. :sick They finally found the body. :th

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Wait a minute . . . Bill James and Billie Jean? :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
well now i have to go and get the hens lined up to do a Michael Jackson Billie Jean tribute dance....

come on girls... lets DANCE!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
well now i have to go and get the hens lined up to do a Michael Jackson Billie Jean tribute dance....

come on girls... lets DANCE!
ROFLMAO. Only on a Friday, do we get such comic relief!!!!!!!!

Hey . . . did you know there is actually a wild bird that does the moon walk as a mating dance. Seriously. I saw it on a Nature show on PBS. It was h-i-l-a-r-i-o-u-s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!