miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Sunny said:
Question...

Can you use the same recipes for "Sourdough starter" and for "Amish Friendship bread starter" or do you use recipes designed only for that type of starter?

Ok, is that a dumb question??
No. If I remember correctly, Friendship bread starter is flour sugar and water (or milk).

it is totally different than sourdough starter for bread. both good but sd starter is much more versatile, and friendship bread is very limiting--only loaves and cakes etc. whereas sd starter can make anything. And not a dumb question :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My amish friendship starter recipe has yeast, too. But that's the only time you use yeast. Good stuff.

Neko, those pics are awesome! :p I can't wait for my SD starter to kick it in gear and so I can do some baking!

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
I'm not sure I follow. Do you mean using the starters for sourdough/amish bread for the same recipes interchangeably, or for making the starters themselves?
I ment using the same recipes for both types of dough, or what ever you call it once its started..

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't know about all the subs, Neko. I have never tried different flours, etc but it's an interesting idea. I love sweet bread anyway. A whole wheat sounds wonderful.

I don't see why you couldn't use some of your SD starter to make some friendship bread starter. You'll be adding sugar as you feed it, more when mixing it up to bake. I bet you wouldn't notice any difference.

Wasn't the whole idea of adding pudding mix to cakes was so they were more moist? I read a post a long time ago that someone baked it without the pudding mix and thought it was fine. I'm going to try that this year. People used to make breads and cakes without pudding mixes all the time. Seems like there's been a couple times I was missing the pudding mix when it was time to bake, too. We're out in the toolies, so no store around the corner.

I rarely bake with big quantities of honey as it's really expensive here. So I don't know. I'd suggest subbing honey for half the sugar the first time and see what you get.

I have a friend that always just uses a 9x13 pan instead of loaf pans. I wonder if it'd all fall apart when you tried to take it out of the bread machine.

I have frozen the starter with good results. I just bring it back to room temperature, then feed it with the sugar, flour and milk and start the 10 day cycle. Maybe the starter is dead and it's the addition of new ingredients that's actually active...? :hu I also don't use a cup of each ingredient when it's time to feed it. Depending on how much starter I have, I'll use as little as 1/4 cup, 1/3 cup or 1/2 cup of flour, sugar and milk. My goal is to have enough to use for baking, and some left over to start the next batch, not to have so much that I'm dumping it or begging friends to take it. When I know I'm not going to make any more for a while, I pop it back into the freezer. I have used as much as 2 cups of starter in the bread, adding a bit more flour, but it was still pretty soupy. It turned out fine.

Post your results if you try anything new, k? :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have three different recipes of sourdough starter 'cooking' on the counter right now. All three are perking along, wahoo! The blend of flours, miss_thenorth's recipe, started bubbling faster than the others. But all three are doin' their thing.

(Note to self: Never lick spoon on the way to the sink again. This stuff tastes awful by itself.)

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
(Note to self: Never lick spoon on the way to the sink again. This stuff tastes awful by itself.)
True. :sick And if it doesn't tast gross, something's wrong with your starter.