5 minute artisan bread

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
There was an article covering the book in Mother Earth News not long ago. I haven't tried the recipes yet. I think some others here on ss have, though; and there was a discussion posted as "5 min a day bread" or something like that late last year.

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I did go back and after several searches with different word combos did find two references buried in another bread topic from October. I'll give it a go when the book shows up.

Vikki

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I asked for the book for my b'day. It sounds wonderful.. Dixie

herbsherbsflowers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My dh has been doing this for more than a month. We started with the article in Mother Earth News and then bought the book. He still is working on perfecting the first recipe. He's done it a bunch of different ways. They have all been good to me. I'm not eating so much bread now that I have found out I have diabetes, but that is one thing that is nice about this is you just take out as much as you need. Don't have to cook up a big huge loaf that you feel bad about letting go bad. We bought the book a few weeks ago and they also have a website. Just google artisan bread in five minutes a day and it will be pretty high on the list. They are working on a new book. The website has lots of neat ideas and other recipes.

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got this book out of the library and have had good success so far. We all like the bread and it is easy. My only issue is that you have to let the dough rest for 40 min. and preheat the oven for 20 min. and then bake for 30 min. Not a big deal, but it means that I have to be home and paying attention to getting it into the oven over an hour before I want it done. If you have a busy life, it is easier just to toss the ingredients in the bread machine and go out for the day. But my bread machine never made such a crisp crust. I'll continue to make bread both ways.

newchickwi

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I received the book yesterday through interlibrary loan to look it over. And then I dreamed about making bread all night! I think my brain is telling me to get started.

The recipes look great and easy--I am surprised that there are soooo many variations and possibilities! I'm going to have to put this book on my wish list.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Vikki

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I made a batch a few weeks ago using freshly ground wheat flour and it is wonderful as pizza dough. We like our pizza here!

I let it get nice and ripe in the fridge for two weeks, then I rolled out about 6-7 pizza dough's onto well-floured parchment paper, to the size of my baking stone. I layered them and froze them in a couple of trash bags, protected with two cookie sheets.

I take one out just before dh and I go to teach our classes on Saturday, around noon, and let it sit on the counter covered with plastic wrap. When we get home around 6:30 or so, he runs out to feed the critters while I do the following:

Preheat the oven and the stone to 375.

Gather supplies: a pint jar of homemade pizza sauce, a 12-oz bag of shredded mozzerella (goat cheese one day, I hope!), and pepperoni and other toppings, like homemade sausage.

When the oven beeps that it is hot, I take out the stone, flip the dough on it using the parchment paper, and very quickly top it. It bakes up in 20 minutes flat. By the time we are both done feeding everyone and putting stuff away, it is ready.

It is actually faster than take-out, believe it or not! And SOOOO much better!

I love this recipe. DH just called me from the store because he is picking up yeast for my next batch and wanted to be sure to get the right one! We have only one frozen crust left in the freezer, so I begged him to get the yeast today. Didn't have to beg much, he loves that homemade pizza, too.

BTW, I used the basic recipe, not the whole wheat one. It is wonderful.

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, I have my new Artisan Bread in 5min..... book and the recipes look wonderful. I am making my groc. list and will be ready to do bread on Sat.. It's so nice that others have tried the recipes and they work and are good...Thanks everyone..Dixie

Dixiedoodle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just 'whipped' up the dough for the Artisan bread! It was the easiest thing (I think), I have ever done in the kitchen!! It's rising now--for another hr., then it's in the frig.. Until breakfast!

I purchased a baking stone. Ordered a pizza peel--our Bed/Bath/Beyond --didn't have one is stock..They wanted to charge me 10$ for shipping.. I said==I could 'just wait until I could get to a store that had them in stock and the guy said " I'll just wave the shipping fee for you'!!!

So (here's my furgal tip of the day) if you are ordering something you don't need--let them know you think you can wait and see they will offer you free shipping...Dixie