5 minute artisan bread

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
For those of use just learning,millng our own flour.Wanting to make the delicous pizzas described in this thread, what grain am i milling...? Soft or hard, spring or winter,white wheat...? Or does it not make a difference...?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I used hard red, which is about all I can get here, but it works great. No bitterness whatsoever, as long as you grind and use the flour very soon. Or store it in the freezer and still use asap, bringing it to room temp first.

Have fun! You'll be amazed at how wonderful it is!

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Freemotion, so i can mill hard red, soft or hard white, really doesn't matter that much for pizza dough...? Isn't the hard red wheat used allot for whole wheat breads.?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It is so funny that you are asking me this question, since I was the one asking it only a few weeks ago! You will find lots of answers in other threads if you do a search, and also go to some of the online catalogs....they have lots of great info. www.honeyvillegrain.com is one.

The higher the gluten, the better the wheat is for making bread. It forms stronger bonds to make the air bubbles and support the rising of the dough. When you slice a loaf, the bread will hold together better as you spread peanut butter on it, etc.

Lower gluten wheat makes better pastry, like pie crust and biscuits, since the bonds are weaker and the results will be flakier and "crumbley," for lack of a better word right now.

Hard red is high gluten. Soft white is lower.

For pizza crust, I think both would work, but I like variety in my crust. I do like the more biscuit-y texture of some crusts, and I like the bread-y texture, too.

Hope this helps!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it is that I have missed this thread and this book, but today I noticed it on two different websites, so I did a search here to see if anyone else here was doing this. I used to wonder how well you could keep various bread doughs in the fridge and for how long . . . but this is pretty cool that someone has made a dough for just this sort of treatment. I often store extra pizza dough in the fridge and have noticed that it starts to taste sourdough-like after a while . . . but usually the quality of the dough deteriorates over time. I am going to have to try this and possibly order the book now.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
i used the 5 min method all winter - it was GREAT. and how easy is it to make your own pizza?!?? perfect! and the cinnamon roll recipe worked like a charm. for 2 people it was so easy to have so many options.

the only thing that i noticed was that you have to keep it covered or it dries out - but not air tight.. so that was the only downside for me.

my fridge is extra stocked right with produce now so it hasnt been practical to keep up over summer - and we've been making a lot of focaccia bread, which has a slightly different methodology. but i've been using that dough for pizza too.

be sure to use their tip about putting a cup of water in the oven - this seems to work really well.

:)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I just watched the youtube yesterday and made up a batch.

I have to admit the one interview where she says she is a pastry chef and just did not believe that this would work raises some red flags. If she did attend culinary school especially the big name she mentioned it is quite a stretch to imagine this simple method was not covered. :smack

I have made something very similar before but had forgotten all about it!