5 minute artisan bread

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Actually I think they would...I mean why wouldn't they rise?

Maybe it is time to flush out the truth here....do ya dare me? :gig

I think I will do two batches, a traditional french bread and the 5 minute. Mix it up lickety split, like the 5 min. recipe...let them set out on the counter for the required two hours, then 12 in the fridge and bake off two loaves and see if there is a difference.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Sure . . . do it!

I kind of tried that with one of my sourdough loaves and it didn't work out so well. :/ I think some breads need more working than others.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem with their oven after using the steam generating technique . . . . I read somewhere that it might not be good for your oven. Just wondered. :hu
Mine smoked the next time I used it. The whole house smelled! Granted the oven needed cleaning anyway, but it only did it the next time after I made bread. The next time I made bread I put in more than the recommended amount of water since it all evaporated. That seemed to help. I have no idea why.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Thought I'd bump this thread back up again since I am going to be making this dough today the NT way (whey :p). :D

Free, if you see this, I answered my question about letting it chill-out in the fridge for the first two weeks THEN pinching off loaves. I am also draining my yogurt right now for the whey to use along with the water.

I am going to do the 6-3-3-13 measurements.
6 cups h2o (and whey if doing this the NT way)
3 T salt (non iodized)
3 T yeast
13 cups flour (using non bleached wh. wheat)

Should make 8 loaves.
Thanks for these measurements.
I am going to mix this up now.
How long do I need to let it sit after mixing before baking? In the fridge or on the counter?
How long do I bake this for? 350F right?
I have a baking stone. Do I need to put a cup of water in my oven for this recipe?
Thanks!

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I made eight loaves in the past two days of the original "boule" loaf. I let it rise for two hours, then refrigerated it for four hours, and then baked the loaves at 450 for 35 minutes. I have a stone which held two and then I used cast iron skillets for the other two in each batch. It seemed to work.

Without the water in the oven, the crust won't be as crunchy. I did one batch last week without the water, but I won't do it again. It seems to really make a big difference. I use a lot more than a cup of water, and put it in when the oven preheats. I heat the stone or skillet for 40 minutes, not 20.