5 minute artisan bread

HiDelight

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have done this I learned it on a cooking board a while back ..I love the texture of it! very artisan...makes a nice rustic loaf

I have done it in a well seasoned iron chicken skillet with a lid and put herbs on top so they bake into the crust ..very nice

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Great tip! I think I will try my next loaf on my skillet since I broke my stone. Do you preheat it first?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Free, according the authors, you do not preheat the stone. I am not sure if HiDelight preheated her pan.

I made this bread once on a pizza pan and twice as a loaf this week and it seemed to work well in all three instances. I am having oven issues (thermostat is whacked), so I made this bread instead of my usual, which involves the "normal" bread dough process.

I found leaving the dough in the refrigerator a problem. First I have a what I think is a 12 cu feet refrigerator, so not a lot of room for storing bread dough.

Secondly, even though the refrigerator thermometer says the internal temp is 40 in the fridge, and I keep the container on a shelf close to the refrigerator door, the dough seems to be close to freezing by the time I make the third (last) bread.

The last loaf turned out well, but took almost 1 hr 45 minutes to rise.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

edited for clarity and spelling

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Dace, I think I would have gotten 2 loaves out of the dough, except the first one I made was the size of a personal pan pizza sheet. Tiny bread! :lol:

According to the 5 min a day website, the dough is supposed to rise 60 to 90 minutes before going into the oven. Their book said 40 to 60 minutes, but the website says this is an error. I left it for 1 hr 45 minutes because I found was that the dough rose very little during the first hour.

Then I baked it at 350 (to adjust for the malfunctioning oven) for 25 minutes with a pan of water on the lower shelf. The bread turned out fine.

Maybe I am just worrying about nothing....

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
:lol: I would too, but this oven I have jumps from 350 to 550 if it isn't monitored every couple of minutes. :rolleyes:

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I just made my 4th loaf of bread....usually I cut into it while it is still warm but this one I saved a few hours for dinner....BLTs on homemade bread = YUM!

The crust was not at all crisp. I bake it at a high temp, but I think I need to back that down a bit. also I keep a pan of hot water in the bottom of the over to help crisp it up. I think I am doing something wrong....any ideas?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thought I'd bump this thread back up again since I am going to be making this dough today the NT way (whey :p). :D

Free, if you see this, I answered my question about letting it chill-out in the fridge for the first two weeks THEN pinching off loaves. I am also draining my yogurt right now for the whey to use along with the water.

I am going to do the 6-3-3-13 measurements.
6 cups h2o (and whey if doing this the NT way)
3 T salt (non iodized)
3 T yeast
13 cups flour (using non bleached wh. wheat)

Should make 8 loaves.