A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it's 41°f now. Not supposed to get a freeze again this week. I went ahead and planted the tomatoes and peppers that were sitting on the table. Its iffy but if they go down the feed store has plenty more.

I have alot of unused space in the garden since none of the brassicas made it. Prolly gonna fill the space with more feed store plants.

The green beans that just sprouted went down too. No matter, I have a big bag of those foot long beans from baymule. I'll resow them on the 15th.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That’s why I sent you plenty of them. One for frost, one for the cutworms and one for you!

That purely bites about your potatoes. I hope they sprout back out. Feed store plants will do just fine!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well it's been a rough day. My dog has taken up the art of chasing cars. They have to stop to keep from killing her. Today she got hit. I had a nurse come look her over. She's going to be ok, but shes bruised up pretty good and her foot is tore up. Seems something is wrong with both of her left legs. But the nurse assures me she will be alright in a couple weeks. Right now she's laid up on the living room rug.

Maybe this will teach her a lesson. I got the call at work and headed home. On the way I called the nurse and my brother. One brought medical supplies and the other brought a different tool. The wife and kids went to Brahms for dinner and ice cream. We had the hole dug when the nurse got here, fearing the worst and just waiting for the word.

It's gonna be a rough road for sure. I don't even like the damn dog, she's a worthless ass pitbull that never met a stranger and gets whipped by skunks and cats, but she don't bite kids, listens, minds me, and is a pretty good pet. Ok maybe I like the dog a little bit for a worthless runt lap dog.

While she's living the good life in the house things are happening on the homestead!
The potatoes are growing new leaves. The fried rabbits are ready for butcher and we had another doe kindle on video. We also got some tomatoes and peppers transplanted and it looks like they will survive! And the green beans don't look dead yet!

Gotta love this life

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Really hope your worthless, runt, lap dog recovers well and learns her lesson, lol! JK - I really hope she does well - and hope she remembers this and doesn't do it again!

Question - Did you ever get any fig trees started?

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No. So far I have 2 peaches, 2 pears, and 2 plums. But one of the plum trees is dead

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20180410_222721.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Poor darlin!

I stuck some fig tree trimmings in the ground a couple weeks ago..not sure if they've rooted- but they don't look dead either. Cross fingers- but they just might take. I should know in a week or so. If they survive I'll share with ya.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Poor thing, I hope she learned her lesson now! I hate car chasing dogs. They make me SO nervous when I'm driving. A few years ago we had one tear down the driveway to chase us, completely misjudge the operation and run full speed into the side of our car! Scared the living crud out of me. Another time I watched the car in front of ours run over a car chasing dog's paw/leg, it was awful. Hope yours will recover o.k. and find something else to chase instead, like cats ;)