A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She's a cute worthless runt lap dog, I love pits. Glad she's OK, and hopefully she never does that again! My sister in law had a dog get hit by a car, couldn't afford the operation so the vet said the dog wouldn't make it. Dog lived years after that. They're tough!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a rule. I never stop for a dog I hit. I've only hit 3 in my whole life and I cried about them, but I would not stop.
Reason
#1. People are freakin' crazy nuts.
#2. They want YOU to pay the bill for THEM letting THEIR dog run loose--and I ain't paying.
#3. I don't want to deal with the drama.
#4. THEIR dog ran out in front of MY car--just how is this MY fault?
#5. Refer back to rule number 1.

Anyway, that's my philosophy on cars and dogs. It never ends well for the dog.

There is a Great Pyrenees around the corner, about a mile away. She chases cars. Ferocious. BUT--only when her owner is outside. if he is gone, she never raises her head at a car. She was a stray that showed up years ago and he fed her. Grateful, she shows him how hard she works protecting him. LOL LOL I stopped one day and told him not to worry about her chasing cars while he was gone. He appreciated knowing that and told me he was afraid that he would come home some day and find her dead. Nope, not Fluffy, she only chases (not very close) and barks to impress her Master.

I am sorry that your dog got hit. You and him both got lucky. It probably won't make any difference, he will get better and chase cars with a vengeance. If you don't want this dog that you don't like....ok, sorta like.....not to get hit again, you will have to put him behind a fence. But you already know that.

My 2 GP's despise trucks, motorcycles and cars. If they were not behind a fence, they would be splattered out in the road by a garbage truck. I do believe they both would launch themselves at a motorcycle and take it down. People know where we live by the 2 big white dogs that run the fenceline barking at cars. LOL

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hit one dog so far, with a motorcycle. My dad's physiotherapist's idiot pug. Used to wait for me to ride past their house and then come running, one day it misjudged the operation and ran out right in front of me, leaving me no time to react, so I rode over it, both wheels. The dog ran off, appeared to be unhurt. I managed by some miracle not to drop the bike. After that incident it stopped trying to attack my bike.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I hit a squirrel last year. :hit 18 years of driving and I finally hit a squirrel :sick Ruined his birthday. :hit I've hit 3 deer, 1 walked away the other 2 died. I know of 2 car-chasing dogs in the area. One is a kitty-corner-1/2-mile-away neighbor. The dog is usually confined, it's usually in summer when they've been doing yardwork. If I see the dog, I lay on the horn until someone calls the dog. It's a little cocker spaniel mix, not really that bad of a situation. The other one is over a mile away. A herding dog that lays on the side of a road like a cat stalking prey. That dog is scary. The little black cocker spaniel just runs around on the road and I can see it. The herding dog tries to eat my tires and I can't see it.

@Chic Rustler , pits only have two purposes in life. Loving on people, and biting on things. Sometimes giving them appropriate ways to express their drive to chase and tug, and a job helps. Pits tend to do well with pulling weights, and it's a useful SS skill too. You can google weight pulling and dog carting and find lots of info. I have trained both, so if you have questions, just holler! A tired dog is a good dog.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
She's plenty chill now. Just lays around staring into space.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Spring time tornadoes tonight and a freeze tomorrow night. Welcome to Texas

Latest posts