A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Goodness gracious! We're supposed to get some heavy rains/thunderstorms....no tornadoes in the forecast that I'm aware of!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the storm cleared out pretty quick. There was a tornado warning a few counties over. Not us tho.

Today I got real compost from our bin! I decided I was going to heat up my pile and put everything in one bin. As I was moving it all I found the top was dry and new stuff, then darker and then at the very bottom black gold! I had todig tree roots out of it but I got an entire wheel barrow full of dark brown fluffy powder.

As I was loading everything in the larger bin I did layers of the undigested compost and manure and ALOT of water. I'm hopeful it will heat up nice. And then I'll let it sit for about a year and let the bugs work it over and then hopefully it will be more fluffy brown stuff.

So in the old pile I broke alot of rules. Pretty much all of them. I composted alot of slaughter scraps. It's only been a few weeks but the only things I came across were feathers. It was smelly but no bones or anything were in it. That was kinda cool

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Pretty much all we got was fuss and blunder...a little lightening in the distance...a 3 second power blip...and a little bit of rain. Not much, but hopefully enough to have given the garden a good wetting.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The cold snap that followed the storm was not good. 30 mph winds non stop and the low last night was 34.
The awesome doe that had 10 kits lost her whole litter.
The winds still haven't let up. Damn this weather

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had a tree fall on our carport. It had two trunks that fell in opposite directions. It only put a little krinkel on the carport, so really no damage. A friend came over today and cut it all up, hey, firewood for our daughter and family for next winter.

@Chic Rustler I am really sorry about the litter. What a bitter disappointment. What impresses me about you is that you take the hits, but you never quit. You just try again. :thumbsup

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dang weatherman screwed me again. They said the low last night was 39. I didn't bother covering anything in the garden. We had a pretty good frost.

:gig:gig:gig:gigguess I'll be planting some more tomatoes and peppers