A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
When I was shopping for this house there was a 55 gallon drum buried in the ground with holes drilled around the bottom of it trying to pass as a septic system. :ep

sounds somewhat familiar...

Needless to say a requirement of the sale was the installlation of a real system complete with a certificate from the health dept. saying it was done correctly.

there weren't such regulations where i was looking years ago. as long as it was properly disclosed.

i made an offer on a place where the septic system was described as "cesspool - unimproved" i made a suitably low offer on the place and in hindsight am glad that it wasn't accepted. it would have taken a lot of work to get the place up to standards and i was wary of how it was situated. nice location though and enough land to make it worth it. they rejected my offer that year but it was listed a year later at the price i offered - by then i had moved on and didn't want to go back.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
9 jars of chicken for the pantry. i think ill can alot more because the freezer is about full.
20211128_182815.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
9 jars of chicken for the pantry. i think ill can alot more because the freezer is about full. View attachment 17252
Nice work Bro 👍

We like canned CCX. It's great for anything, where recipe calls for shreaded chicken. Plus what you said... Saves freezer space👍

I was at Rural King last night. Yep there is a tub full of those stinky chickens. I'll go back next weekend and see if they are 50 cent a piece yet. But there is no way I'm paying $3.99 a piece for a CCX, maybe a dollar each. IDK... We'll see...

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ok so we have a real problem.....our neighbors.

they have 2 houses, a barn thats been converted to 2 apartments, and a camper. there are a bunch of people over there and so far we have always gotten along. now they are having septic issues and their sewage is running down hill into the rear corner of my property, into my orchard.

i told the old man yesterday but i have a feeling they arent going to do anything about it. truth is one septic tank couldnt handle all that anyway. right now im trying really hard not to freak out but im pissed and its coming to a head. im thinking about pulling their water meter so they cant get any water to make more sewage

?? pulling their water meter?? are you on a shared well???
luckily its at the very rear of my property about 100 yards away from the house.
not going to smell well the the spring
That's a tough situation and you're very nice to give him extra time - but raw sewage is raw sewage and a health hazard...
Ya--- raw sewage is a BIG issue??? where is your well???

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
?? pulling their water meter?? are you on a shared well???

not going to smell well the the spring

Ya--- raw sewage is a BIG issue??? where is your well???
we have rural water. no well.

its pretty easy for a plumber to shut off someones water and make it where they cant turn it back on

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
its pretty easy for a plumber to shut off someones water and make it where they cant turn it back on
Nothing - I didn't hear nothing - not a thing, lol.

You sly guy you! But, hope it doesn't come to that... If he's always been a good neighbor maybe, hopefully, he'll continue to be. :fl

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Nothing - I didn't hear nothing - not a thing, lol.

You sly guy you! But, hope it doesn't come to that... If he's always been a good neighbor maybe, hopefully, he'll continue to be. :fl
idk if it fixed itself or if he called someone but it seems the swamp is drying up. im gonna keep a close eye on it. by next weekend it should be bone dry and hard.