A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're so smart. I bought one. No way I'd tackle that.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep same here. I bought one, and shortly I'll be buying another one.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You're so smart. I bought one. No way I'd tackle that.

No smarter than anyone else here. Just had different training.

If I could afford it is just buy a brinsea

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
20171017_202113.jpg

spent this evening building these little racks and a water shelf. All made from scraps of crap I had laying around. I like it. Adds character

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For not being a carpenter you sure got some tight clean mitred joints.

You could do a semi manual turner without having to open the door. Drill a couple a 3/8" hole through the sides into the shelves and then add lengths of waxed dowel rods. The shelves should tilt in either direction pretty easy. Then attach a length of heavy guage wire (maybe 6ga) or maybe a long threaded rod to one side of the shelves and up through a hole in the top. Pull the wire up and that end of the shelves raises, push the wire down and that end of the shelves goes down - a semi manual egg turner:) if you want to get fancy... Add a stop on the wire inside the bater and one on the outside. Then you can only tip the shelves so far.

But you have a awesome looking start.

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
all I have left is building the door and wiring the thermostat. Then I'm ready for a dry test run to see if it will maintain temp. Still need to order a hygrometer. But im most curious about temp. Is the 500 watts too much? Will it over shoot from the fan cooling the element? Will it be enough to hold it steady in the shed on 40°f night's? Very exiting stuff.

A buddy at work is supposed to give me some plexy glass tomorrow for the window. I'll need to buy some hinges, a latch and a little more silicone.