A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
All that fish buried in your garden will make a huge difference in the garden! My Daddy worked at a marina for awhile after he retired. He brought home the fish heads and guts. He put them in a 55 gallon barrel, added water and built a fire under it to cook them and make his own fish emulsion. He strained the fish water and sprayed it on the garden, the mush that was left got buried in the garden.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
All that fish buried in your garden will make a huge difference in the garden! My Daddy worked at a marina for awhile after he retired. He brought home the fish heads and guts. He put them in a 55 gallon barrel, added water and built a fire under it to cook them and make his own fish emulsion. He strained the fish water and sprayed it on the garden, the mush that was left got buried in the garden.

the kids planted the potatoes right above the fish. about 6 or 8 inches above. I wonder how that will go. lol

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
love most clothes from line dry -- oh, especially sheets!

But a few things I would rather dry. What I am not as thrilled with is the put up & take down of clothes on the line. Does help with electric bill, especially with a family the size of yours.

Always used a line when kids were small & at home. Yep, we had cloth diapers to fold. :lol: No dryer. In fact, my first washer was one from a laundromat. Had coin box out but had to use dimes to start it. A friend of ours worked at a little mat & when owner put in new machines he let him have this old one for us. Hey, it worked! Was the right price -- FREE. We also had no A/C and a floor furnace.

Ahhh, memories!

we still work on some old floor furnaces. dont install many anymore though. the price is out of sight now. I guess supply and demand

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They say that potatoes are heavy feeders... Dad always used to plant his corn hills with a good sized chunk of sucker fish in each hill. Corn grew like crazy, but we had a lot of foxes hanging around!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They say that potatoes are heavy feeders... Dad always used to plant his corn hills with a good sized chunk of sucker fish in each hill. Corn grew like crazy, but we had a lot of foxes hanging around!
I'm sure it will be safe. the fish should be all gone in a month. way before any new potatoes appear. but I'm betting the foliage gets huge!

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
heck with it ill post a few now.

20200311_193245.jpg
20200311_193249.jpg

Latest posts