A new journey into homesteading "pic heavy"

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Unsolicited advice on those rabbits. Consider selecting for hardiness to snuffles. Might be better long term plan than culling. Last estimate I heard was that 80 - 90% of domestic rabbits carry it. Rabbit show people deal with snuffles a lot. I was lucky to get a strain of rabbits that were more resistant to snuffles. Then I bought another rabbit and it got sick and passed it around. Culled that one and medicated the rest, never had an issue with snuffles after that. I'm just not convinced that killing every rabbit that gets it is really the best management.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Unsolicited advice on those rabbits. Consider selecting for hardiness to snuffles. Might be better long term plan than culling. Last estimate I heard was that 80 - 90% of domestic rabbits carry it. Rabbit show people deal with snuffles a lot. I was lucky to get a strain of rabbits that were more resistant to snuffles. Then I bought another rabbit and it got sick and passed it around. Culled that one and medicated the rest, never had an issue with snuffles after that. I'm just not convinced that killing every rabbit that gets it is really the best management.

some of them get over it, so I've read. I'm gonna wait and see what happens. it may be something else, but ive never had a rabbit with nasal congestion before so it's at least abnormal. wait and see is the plan

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
opened the incubator to turn the eggs this morning and found a chic. lockdown is tomorrow....or it was.
20200314_104923.jpg