Aggieterpkatie-Pics of my new rabbit-Page 38 !!!!!

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Beautiful hide!

Next time you will have to try and tan it yourself. ;) Not as hard as you would think. :D
I did a deerskin a few years ago. It came out ok, but I wanted a nice supple hide and no wool slippage! Plus, this is a washable tan so I can toss it in the washer on the gentle cycle if needed!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I tanned the last two sheep hides that we had (several years back) with a kit from Van Dykes.

This is the one I used Rittel EZ-3000 Sheepskin Tanning Kit - just from another supplier.

My wool is tight and I have machine washed them a time or two since with Murphey's oil soap and had no problems. My leather side is not as pretty as yours however. I have a little to learn about the fleshing out process. ;)

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I tanned the last two sheep hides that we had (several years back) with a kit from Van Dykes.

This is the one I used Rittel EZ-3000 Sheepskin Tanning Kit - just from another supplier.

My wool is tight and I have machine washed them a time or two since with Murphey's oil soap and had no problems. My leather side is not as pretty as yours however. I have a little to learn about the fleshing out process. ;)
That's a pretty good deal. Yeah, after fleshing the deer hide out, I wanted no parts of the sheep skin!! :lol: It was $57 for my sheepskin, and I have a feeling it was slightly higher because the wool is about 6" long. But hey, compared to the prices for sheepskins (easily $100-$200) paying $57 is still a good deal! :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just beautiful..

My 5yo asks me for one of those big beautiful white ones they sell at CostCo every winter. Way too expensive.

I like your price better.

:D

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
It's update time! I've been really busy making things for the craft show on June 28th, so I've been letting some things slide. The weeds are getting a good foothold on the garden. I tried to go out and weed last night with the stirrup hoe, but it was too dry and the weeds were staying put. I watered with the sprinkler (and then it rained a little bit) so I'm going to try again this evening. It is so hot and dry here!! Things are starting to look pathetic.

I got a rabbit last night!! She's a Silver Fox/American Chinchilla cross. She's about a year old and hopefully bred! If she is bred, it's less than a week, so hopefully in less than a month I'll know for sure if she's bred or not. I really like her! She's the foundation for my meat rabbit operation (which will be a small one). Both the Silver Fox and the American Chinchilla are listed as critical on the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, which is pretty cool because it's great to support heritage breeds.

DSC03923-1.jpg

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Yay! What a cute rabbit.

I went with a rare heritage breed as well and I've been very pleased with the sales. So far I've only had three offspring, so I kept a doe and sold two others, one for 25.00 and one for 30.00. I thought that was pretty good! We figure we will sell some (the most showy) and eat the culls/leftovers. So far we haven't had any "leftover".....but if I get 30.00 a bunny I will be very happy.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
Yay! What a cute rabbit.

I went with a rare heritage breed as well and I've been very pleased with the sales. So far I've only had three offspring, so I kept a doe and sold two others, one for 25.00 and one for 30.00. I thought that was pretty good! We figure we will sell some (the most showy) and eat the culls/leftovers. So far we haven't had any "leftover".....but if I get 30.00 a bunny I will be very happy.
Holy cow, SD! That's awesome! What breed are your rabbits?

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
So pretty and I bet really soft! Will you be getting your own buck or taking her back to where you got her?

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
So pretty and I bet really soft! Will you be getting your own buck or taking her back to where you got her?
Well she had a date with the buck before she came to me, but if that didn't take she'll probably go back to the breeder's place for another date!