AL - Recording baby steps: Newest Addition

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
AL said:
That big silver feeder supposedly holds 12 lbs of feed and it has taken them 2 days to even get close to finishing it. Of course, when I turn them out in the pen they have grass, scratch, oats and bugs.
Don't worry ... their appetites will pick up. :lol:

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
ever since I started ditching the feeders and scattering their feed mine are foraging and eating grass like champs. They immediately started eating grass before I fed them this morning....you think yours are big....you should see mine! :lol: I have named all of mine "fatty" :gig

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I started scattering grain every other day. I wanted to keep mine searching and foraging without slowing them down any.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had scattered whole oats in the run a few weeks before the meats came, so there has been grass in there with them. They have eaten and scratched up most of it. I toss them a little scratch but not much at this point. I did put some pumpkin guts in there when I was dealing with pumpkins, but the meats didn't seem impressed with that. :rolleyes:
They are still very active. In fact today there were a few of them jumping / flying up on top of a rubbermaid tote that I have turned on its side for extra shade.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This morning, after I got off work, I fed the animals and headed downtown to meet some friends. We had breakfast at The Coffee Cup - kind of a local legend of a hole in the wall diner. Amazing yum bacon! I so want a pig....
(isn't that funny I can imagine butchering a big mammal but couldn't fathom killing a little feathered dinosaur?)

After a breakfast of egg, bacon and tomato sandwich with buttered grits, I let them con me into going to the "Marketplace 2010". Basically, it is a huge Christmas expo held at our civic center. At 915am I had a Peach Bellini.... and I don't even drink :lol:

When I got home the bottomless chickens needed a new load of feed. One of my RIR hens is determined she MUST lay in the meaite run under the tarp of the shelter. The meats are terrified of her raptor growls so they were held hostage in a corner of the shelter until she was ready to go.
I took a 2hr nap and then went out and pulled up my mustard greens. I didn't expect much but I ended up with a sinkful, so my mom will be happy to see those.

I just can't get motivated to do much more. Still have to feed they horses and give them hay. Should go to the store for more pumpkins, as I am addicted :p

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Hey Al! I made a batch of that fire cider today. I'm sure it will be great for congestion... it about smoked my nose hairs off. Did you make some too or were you just passing the recipe along?

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
No I was just passing it on... my cousin tried it though and said it will knock your down, but she swears by it. I don't like hot stuff so just reading the recipe made my eyes water lol

I have a little bit of a meatie emergency - they found their appetites and the feed I had planned on lasting all day is gone. I don't know how long it has been gone and I am completely out of feed. I do have my chickens layer pellets and a bag of whole oats. Will this do for today??

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
thanks!
They free range as well, and are still quite good at it so hopefully they won't devour me or my dogs before I can get to the feedstore first thing in the morning!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My ducks have had to survive on oats and forage for a night. Of course they act like you starved them to death if they don't have their all time favorite feed. Drama queens!!!

Latest posts