American History

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What? Dinesh what country do you live in? Just wondering? Because unfortunately that did not come out right.

:duc

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
abifae said:
He was the first elected president. We are also a republic, not a democracy. I could go on and on...
Thank you! Someone else acknowledges this! finally! I remember arguing over and over with my history teacher over this very issue. He said we're a democracy, and I immediately asked him, "Then why do we pledge our alligience to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands?"

He couldn't answer my question, and just kept reitterating that we are a democracy.

The problem with things today is people have bought into the propaganda.

"When the people fear the goverment, there is tyranny. When the goverment fears the people, there is liberty."

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, I did get a few resources off the net, but I also am getting a few used books from Amazon:

A Patriotic Primer, What Happened in America, and We The People: TheStory of the Constitution by Lynne Cheney

and by Bill Bennett: The Children's Book of America and The Book of Virtues for Young People: A Treasury of Great Moral Stories.

When I homeschooled my daughter, we used Bill Bennett's "The Book of Virtues" and DD enjoyed it a graet deal. I think DGD will like this one as well. She is being raised with excellent values, and I think this book will help cement the "why".

JamSoundsGood: I think I will look for some of those biographies. DD10 loves to read about people and what motivates them to do what they do. She will need a break from some of the more difficult books, just to keep her interested.

Quail aand Abifae: We are not only a republic, we are a Federally Constituted Republic ! And that Constitution is NOT a "living, breathing document", as those who want to twist it to suite their own purposes would have us believe.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
LdyChef... PM me if you want some great documents. I went to Project Gutenberg and got a bunch of the letters our founding fathers wrote ;)

Project Gutenberg is good for home schoolers anyway!!

Since they're free on that I figure I can safely announce that I'll send them out ;)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Jefferson's letters are great. I downloaded them but haven't printed them out yet.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I would love those for me! We need to keep reminding ourselves who we are and why this nation was established !

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't you love Project Guttenberg? I use it all the time. I think I might just have to get the Lynne Cheney book. I forgot about it and history is my husband's big thing to teach our kids. Their still a little young for some of the other documents, but that book is about perfect! This is fun!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
too young for some parts, but not the concepts.

what two year old can't grasp the concepts of NO and MINE? lol.