AmericanHomesteader...Life in the Desert totally Off-Grid!!

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Woot one of our turkey hens laid and egg today, were excited!!! None of the chickens have laid yet, i need to beef up the pens some more just to be on the safe side. Our pens are inside the fenced in 2 acres so hopefully we wont have any problems but if we do i have plenty of ammo.

Helped our off grid friend today, fixed there water pump wiring and hauled some water for them. other then that all is good at the homestead. I will keep everyone posted on the turkeys!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just curious, how much did you have to pay for your turkeys, and what kind did you get? I saw some on Cl around here and they cost $200! I think that was for a tom and 2 hens, but still, it was way more than I could afford.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There's a guy out in the Bisbee direction (it may have been Willcox) who sells Midget White turkeys, which in my mind are the perfect homestead bird because they max out on their weight and don't become monster huge. Great layers and brooders. He sells them on CL occasionally for around 10-15.00 a piece. I loved those birds, they were not penned and followed me around like kids all day :lol:

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Just curious, how much did you have to pay for your turkeys, and what kind did you get? I saw some on Cl around here and they cost $200! I think that was for a tom and 2 hens, but still, it was way more than I could afford.
Hi Deb, we got royal palms, the lady sold use two hens and the tom for 50.00 but thats not average pricing on them, they lost there farm and having to sell all there live stock, we are getting guineas for 10.00 apiece. She sold us 5 cochin hens and a rooster for 35.00.

Our turkeys laid another egg today hopefully soon we well have baby turkeys :)

AmericanHomesteader

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today i got our front door framed in and hung, we have a beautiful view of the mountains :) it was a nice warm 82 degrees today, also made a water run. The kids are enjoying spring break this week. DS loves taking care of the chickens and turkeys. So far the turkeys are laying an egg aday :)

Tomorrow im framing in a window and mounting it. then thursday building more walls, we are getting there, soon will be living in the house, i have been taking pictures that will be posted.

Will post more later

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just realized, you need to change your siggy! It doesn't include the animals you have now.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
While we are all living this adventure through you, and enjoying every report, I have to ask why you would have to spend so much for a live turkey when the ones in the store that have been processed don't cost as much?
Am I missing something?
I bought some turkeys when I lived in Pensacola (biddies, I admit) and raised them to adult. They made interesting pets, but that wasn't my original intent for them. The tom got an infection in his leg and died, and the hen stood over him that morning and cried for several hours. After that she would come over to my shop while I was working and keep me company. She was a nice bird. She ended up as the meal for some varmint which really annoyed me as I felt that if she was going to be a meal it should have been mine...:somad
by the way, you guys aren't in Georgia any more. :clap :ya
Trim sends
//BT//

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Just realized, you need to change your siggy! It doesn't include the animals you have now.
It also says Acworth, Georgia under your avatar. :)

I am so excited about your progress!! Can't wait to see pics! :D