Amish Friends

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife is out picking pears with our Amish Friends, we found some trees that didn't get hit with the late frost. I know this sounds funny and all... but instead of taking the horse and buggy, my wife took the veggie hauler (my pick up truck) instead. And yes she is driving :lol

I would snap some pictures of our Amish Friends and share with you all, but they don't like their pictures taken - so I have to respect that, you know?

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife just got back home with 2 1/2 5 gallon buckets of pears :) us men are going back Saturday to pick the remaining ones that were too high for the ladies to pick. They are some nice looking big pears too :)

Score!
IMG_20180829_114953068.jpg

Last edited:

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks CG. They have 4 young girls and 1 young boy. All of them are cute as buttons! And yes it's true they have no refrigeration. They keep their goat's milk cool in a deep pit. It's pretty doggone deep too.

I took my Amish friend to go pick pears this morning. Picking pears with him put a whole new meaning to the phrase "waste not want not" for me. He climbed the trees and got every last one. The ones what were to rotten we piled up around the base of the trees and he said "always leave some for the animals to eat".
On really hot days in the summer DW and I pack a cooler with ice and Popsicles and visit a couple of our Amish neighbors. Usually we find most of the family working on something in the basement to keep cool. Most of the time we end up sitting on the porch with the whole family enjoying the popsicles what a sight the children with orange ,red and blue stained faces begging the adults for there Popsicle sticks. When the Popsicles are gone they suck on the ice. Its more enjoyable than going to a movie.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My wife gets a call from her Amish friend about some baked goods, that she made this morning. Apparently, she does pretty well selling fresh baked goods everyday. People from around town stop by to buy what she has made.

Fresh baked goods, eggs and goats milk. Well my wife comes home with these goodies :) my wife's Amish friend would not take a nickel for any of it. She said its strange that pecan pies don't sell very well, but apple pies are a big seller What's wrong with people around here? Pecan pies are like the best of the best.
IMG_20190520_191254223.jpg

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Some people find it to be cloyingly sweet. I, on the other hand, find that a warm slab of Pecan Pie rates right up there with good home made apple pie, tiramisu, chocolate chip cookie pie, home made blueberry pie, warm home made pumpkin pie. Any one hungry???

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i'm glad there are no calories in pictures, but i'd like to have about half a dozen of those with some hot chocolate right about now... yes, i'm a chocoholic and i just had my 1 square of chocolate for today before i have something else. not sure what else yet, life is too short eat dessert first.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

Yes pecan pie can spoil. When you get Amish baked pies, they are not quite done. You can slice them and freeze the slices. Actually a whole pie just fits in a gallon size ziplock baggie nicely. Then when you want a piece, pop in the the microwave and enjoy :)

The Amish use no food preservatives.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That looks awesome - kinda like an Amish ding-dong or something similar?

Maybe kinda... No hard chocolate coating though. The best I can describe it, its like two thin pieces of chocolate cake with a whipped creamy middle. Most definitely goat milk was used to make this awesomeness.