Apple Cider Vinegar Bragging thread!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dipsy Doodle Doo said:
Hi! Thank you to you all! I started my very first 'home grown' ACV on 9/21/10 --- apple juice and the dregs (mother from Mrs Braggs) and it's finally vinegar.
There was a gal of juice, but some got drank in the "ooh fizzy stuff" stage, and more in the "does this taste like apple wine to you?" stage (it never went through a 'bad' phase).
Then boom, it was vinegar!
The vinegar is delightful --- MUCH more pleasant to the palate than the original. I used a half-cup to make a giant wilted spinach salad for dinner tonight and it got raves.
Thank you all!
:)
Lisa
I'm glad to hear that the process take as long as you relate. I started a "culture" with Mrs. Braggs and it is finally beginning to show some progress after adding some yeast to the mix.

As for drinking it, the one TBS honey, one TBS Mrs. Braggs and 12 ounces of water shows some progress. I don't wake up with the soreness in my back that I used to get and the stiffness in the joints is to some extent improved. I am not taking any "medication" to control this so there is no confusion as to whether it is the ACV or not.

As a result, I bought about 7 bottles of Mrs. Braggs at the store about 65 miles from home so I would not run out during the winter. They are small bottles so it doesn't take all that long to go through one of them. That is why the decision was made to try adding some of Mrs. Braggs to a quart of apple cider and watch to see what happens.

With all that having been said, the question I now must ask is "How long must I wait for results?" as you said "Boom it was vinegar"

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
By the way, does anyone have a firm idea as to the ideal size and construction of a container for brewing ACV?

I used a glass mixing bowl in the kitchen which seems to do fine but knowing the chemistry it would be interesting to find out if there is a better size or substance from which to make the container.

I know the Japanese used large crocks (ceramic ?) to do this after seeing photographs of their process. Apparently, this is NOT a high tech type of operation.

Does anyone have a suggestion for the container? :idunno

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I used a gallon-sized glass jug, covering the top with a few layers of cheesecloth attached with a rubber band. It worked very well for me.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
VickiLynn said:
I used a gallon-sized glass jug, covering the top with a few layers of cheesecloth attached with a rubber band. It worked very well for me.
Thats what I use too. I have a couple of 3/4 gallon glass jugs, with narrow mouths. I tried making it in one of them, but I don't think that the opening was large enough for good air transfer. Anyway, now I use a gallon jar, and decant it into the jug when it is ready.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Iwent to the whole foods store today, and saw that they were selling unpastuerized ACV with mother! Naturally, I am delighted, and plan to add AVC vinegar (or any vinegar really) to my list of fermented joys. :p I'll go back and read this thread, and post any questions I have later. :D

Right! How do you make it? Does it have to be fresh juice? (I imagine it does, because who wants the store bought stuff?) And can you use ACV mother to innoculate other juices?
I found and bumped up the vinegar making thread for you. I outline in some detail how I make ACV in post #6, but I just re-read the whole thing, and there is a lot of good information there; I recommend it.

musiclee

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I had a bunch of apple cores and peels left over from canning last year and decided to make apple vinegar. There were a whole lot of ways I found to do it and a lot of them conflicted each other.

I didn't do the complicated method that was more like making wine. I just covered them in water and put cheesecloth over the container to keep out bugs.

From what I read, apples turn into vinegar very easily. I've got a lot of mother that seems to back this up. I took some of it and made vinegar with my blackberries, too.

It is such a strong smell and so different from what I'm used to. Sometimes I wonder if there is someway to do it wrong. I still use it.

Lately I've quit using shampoo. I wash my hair with an egg yolk and rinse with my homemade vinegar. The results are great.

Since that time, Ive also noticed that my blood sugar has stabilized. At first I attributed it to getting antibiotics and some other meds for bronchitis that I've been fighting off and on for a few months, but my blood sugars were higher before that than they are now.

It seems like that using the apple vinegar in my hair would be too small of an amount to cause that kind of effect, but I still wonder. It could be that combined with removing the toxic chemicals in the shampoo, still it seems small. I just can't think of any other changes that have been going on to prompt it. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
musiclee said:
It seems like that using the apple vinegar in my hair would be too small of an amount to cause that kind of effect, but I still wonder. It could be that combined with removing the toxic chemicals in the shampoo, still it seems small. I just can't think of any other changes that have been going on to prompt it. Does anyone have any thoughts?
I know that my D2 who is Celiac and VERY VERY allergic to wheat (she goes into anaphylactic shock) has to use only a gluten free, wheat free shampoo or she has an allergic reaction. So, YES your shampoo COULD be causing a toxic reaction.

Latest posts