Apple Cider Vinegar Bragging thread!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Coincidences are so strange sometimes! Hmm! I've never heard of a kid who drank vinegar...or put it on PASTA!!! Wow!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My niece learned that at my mother's house. My parents were vegetarians and often only had salad and pasta to eat, so the kids either ate salad, pasta or pasta in their salad. Usually there was no spaghetti sauce to put on the pasta.

Well, Hannah Jane didn't like salad, so she ate pasta and just put the vinegar everyone else was putting on their salads onto her pasta.

I bet she has fond memories of her grandmother's house everytime she eats her pasta in that way. :)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
LetsBeSelfSufficient said:
I mix ACV, water and rosemary essential oil to make a hair rinse. It helps get rid of dandruff.

I also add ACV to my chickens' water about once a week; it's supposed to keep their immune systems strong!
This is also likely to make the hair look darker. Rosemary and sage are both used for brunettes that want to keep it looking dark. I realize this is an old post, but it might be handy info.

CJW

Power Conserver
Reaction score
liz stevens said:
Let me tell you my husband battled a bladder infection for over a year. The doctor tried three different antibiotics and it just seemed to keep recurring. We were getting worried about him having some supper antibiotic resistant bug, and didn't want to make him even more resistant with more antibiotics. He remembered some health benefits about using apple cider vinegar did some internet discussions and started using two table spoons in a glass of water. Needless to say we are now believers. Every once in a while he will have a flare up and uses it for a week and it goes away. We did read that drinking it will erode the enamel on your teeth so he uses a straw to bypass the teeth. Don't know if this is fact or not, but it is an acid. We do know it works for the bladder infections. He used the honey for awhile but found it works either way.
^^
I am glad I am not the only one who has seen this work in real life!

A couple years ago, I had a Bladder Infection that would not quit. At first I just thought I would drink a ton of water to flush it out, but I didn't quite know what it was. I have an iron bladder, so I just ignored the symptom of frequent urination. It was my first one ever. After a few days, I knew it had to be a Bladder Infection, so I called my mom since she had them all the time when she was younger, so she just told me to drink cranberry juice. I bought RW Knudsen 100% Pure cranberry juice...drank the bottle in one day. Nothing. Bought some cranberry pills, and bought another bottle...nothing.

Meanwhile, I am miserable, and we leave to go to my in-loves. They live 1 hour from any store that would carry the 100% juice that I wanted. My Father in love recommended ACV (he had Braggs at the house) and so I took 2 oz straight. I continued drinking water. 6 hours later, another 2 ounces. Right before bed, another 2 ounces. By the next (early) afternoon, it was gone.

Now, when I feel the initial tingle of a Bladder infection, I take 2 ounces and it is GONE.

I drink a lot of water, so I don't brush afterward, but maybe I should start. I wish the kids liked it!

Another thing I use it in is the Hens' water. I dissolve 1/2 tsp honey into hot water, then about a Tbsp of ACV into that, then pour it into their waterer. (1 gallon)

And, when my husband or I are feeling like we are "gettin' somethin'" we take a couple Tbsp of ACV and we haven't been sick in months. My husband says he wouldn't take it if he didn't know it made a difference. (It hits his stomach like a brick.) And, my husband is slowly coming around to natural remedies. It took an episode of Mythbusters to confirm what I had told him for years about ginger and nauseousness!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Someone told me years ago that ACV, water and honey was a good pick me upper. But, I never really noticed that it helped. But then again, it was the stuff from the store. I just might have to try to make some and see what happens. I have arthritis in my right wrist, and would love to find something to help that.

I'm curious about the weight lose. While I don't need to lose weight, my hubby does, and he's not having much luck. He tried a couple of different things-like eating meatless meals. The result? He lost about 5 lbs, and I lost about 30!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I am ALL about using the natural stuff whenever possible, but I just wanted to add a word of warning about urinary tract infections. If you try all of the natural cures and they don't work seek medical help.

My father just got out of the hospital after a simple UTI went systemic and left him almost dead from a Staph infection. Only very strong daily doses of IV antibiotics was able to save him. This came as a direct result of a UTI that went untreated for a good long while.

Drink the ACV or other natural of your choice first, but if they don't work call the doctor.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb weightloss from ACV is not a fast process. I lost 8 pounds total so far with no regain without changing my diet at all.
Most men tend to lose weight quite a bit faster than women when they put their mind to it so I would rule out medical issues before taking drastic measures with your diet.

Dipsy Doodle Doo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi! Thank you to you all! I started my very first 'home grown' ACV on 9/21/10 --- apple juice and the dregs (mother from Mrs Braggs) and it's finally vinegar.
There was a gal of juice, but some got drank in the "ooh fizzy stuff" stage, and more in the "does this taste like apple wine to you?" stage (it never went through a 'bad' phase).
Then boom, it was vinegar!
The vinegar is delightful --- MUCH more pleasant to the palate than the original. I used a half-cup to make a giant wilted spinach salad for dinner tonight and it got raves.
Thank you all!
:)
Lisa

Dipsy Doodle Doo

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi! I know the goal was the vinegar, but I enjoyed ALL the process.
One day while it was fermenting, I took the bottle down and shook it (is it vinegar yet?) and smelled, and smelled again --- and spent the rest of the morning in lala land --- just from the fumes. That's when I let someone else taste it and it was tasty (and potent) at just a few weeks old.
Thanks again to everyone for sharing!
:)
Lisa

Latest posts