Are we living our dream?

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH put together a chili sauce. There are a few kernels of corn and some macaroni to pick out but this is my latest salad. I am down maybe a few pounds and I have a grocery list to fill.
I really want to show off the new rabbit house DH made but I really got to clean up the mess around it first. It’s massive.
Today is practically a wasted day. I can’t believe how long I slept. Happens every time DH leaves his CPAP on and I grab the mask.
Oh my!! This salad is different. I need more ham or something for the week for more salad creations. I tell you what…I don’t know what organization sent us so much sunflower seeds but they are really great in a salad…especially if you don’t want croutons.
DH got up before me and swept the floor while I used up air really intended for him and when I got up I started working on the dust pile and something under my right foot was round and made me fall in the pile and I somehow cut my left hand. Getting old sucks.

Attachments

• 34F28381-6C19-4309-AAD4-197CD5456F86.jpeg
    34F28381-6C19-4309-AAD4-197CD5456F86.jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 76

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As we age, adjustments need to be made. :hide IN every area...time, speed, ways, food, sleep, temperatures, clothing. I know these things!! I've been there a while! :lol:

No matter what you do, some issues just can't be maintained. Wrinkles happen and muscle mass is softening. Stuff moves around too. Your butt drops, stomach swells, hair thins and retextures, parts wear out. It ain't pretty!!! :old 🤪 :lol: :th Get rid of mirrors!

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If it wouldn’t be for mirrors I wouldn’t be able to to see what is wrong with certain body parts that might desperately need certain attention…I say no more.
I know DH doesn’t like to work alone but I think he took pity on me again. I woke up with air hitting my face and I realized a CPAP mask was waiting for me. I think he thought about me and realized I might need the kind of rest he gets. Well I didn’t waste the whole day sleeping like yesterday but I bet I got an extra hour…maybe 90 minutes and I do feel rested.
I woke up and he showed me a pelt from an otter that was accidentally killed by a friend. Apparently 2 were killed and he still had the other. Only him!! I told him I thought I was dreaming and had heard him talking about it in the phone. He wants to make boots out of them. I have a pattern but I never used it.
I will be 56 Friday. I think my children will grace me with their presence soon. It does hurt when they spend so much time away but the ex and I didn’t settle custody and really for the first few years I really had them most of the time. And one thing I can count on is him losing all his stuff and them retreating to me. 🤷‍♀️ But I already got a text from my honorary DD …my niece who I have been awarded sole custody of. I can call her HDD 🤷‍♀️ She asked if the front bedroom is ready for her to come home to Thursday.
We finding nests at both our farms now so I think I will start to enjoy my eggs more. Store bought are poor excuses of an egg but I buy them in cases of 30 because of the protein and so I can use the crate in the incubator. I so hope Ida didn’t destroy the incubator. It once belonged to Momma.
DH decided he needed a nap and I boiled a dozen eggs for salads and I am starting a crockpot cabbage casserole to be frugal and keto. The last two cucumber plants I put in aquaponics didn’t take. Maybe I replace with tomatoes. I am kinda hungry. Spent close to $200 last night between medicine, health and beauty needs and groceries but I am fine with my selections. I kept both our health in mind. Took Trouble for a run in the freshly planted cane fields and fortunately no coons lured her into the mud again. I really don’t like bathing a Pit Bull in a shower; which is really my only choice in this house.
DH only wants an hour of rest and then we will go to my farm to retrieve brackets from my destroyed pantry. I might be able to give my poor house 2 hours.
He said he already fed the rabbits there and only a handful. I now have 3 empty Vienna Sausage cans that I plan on putting on each property that we have rabbits. I bought it special because he used to say that was the measurement of rations each adult rabbit required to preform what was required for a meat project. Something has got to give.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DD has been here a few days and we have to be careful about Trouble being with her puppy. Mostly she likes the puppy and it’s too cute to see the puppy trying to nurse on Trouble but apparently the friendship ends where food begins. She must have snapped at the pup and the pup ran to the room crying. As near as I can see she isn’t injured. Just scared. We fussed Trouble immediately. Honestly I don’t trust Trouble. She injured my dog several years ago and it required a night at the animal hospital, IV fluids and stitches and antibiotic. Trouble is a pure Pit Bull but sadly her sire was one of those smaller breeds, intentionally bred for fighting and we just have to keep a very close eye on her. Her half sister lives further down the street and she has a different dad who was bred for pulling and she doesn’t seem to have the same temperament at all. I feed Trouble and bathe her and I bring her run but sometimes she earns her name.
So DH is still in atrial fib and the doctor wants to shock him out of it but he has missed a few of his blood thinners and he traded out chores for exercise which the cardiologist didn’t like. By all means he wants DH to walk 20 minutes a day. So last night we went to the park. DD played with her volleyball on the tennis courts, DH walked and I took my basketball to the court and tried to shoot all marks around the key. Man…have I lost a lot of strength and skill. But I didn’t give up. Towards the end DD showed up and I explained what I was doing besides chasing the basketball everywhere. She went around the key as well and DH tried but he is really freakishly strong. His main sports involved tackling the opposing teams offense and wrestling so every shot just banged way too hard against the backboard. If only his heart could be as strong. He was getting winded anyway and sat on the closest bench. Every once in a while instead of returning the ball to DD I took a shot and I complained that I used to be good. DD said maybe it will come back. Dear child…it’s too late for me to do anything with basketball except to exercise and gain speed, accuracy and certain coordination, which was my whole point of ordering the ball to begin with. I probably ended up doing almost as much walking as DH anyway. But I was shocked the first time I tried to do a free throw and I didn’t even send the ball far enough. My glory days were MANY yesterdays ago.
DH found some dry fruit wood he had in the yard and barbecued a rabbit, some butcher sausage and hotdogs and I boiled several eggs for deviled eggs because I knew that’s the closest thing I could come to a potato salad. (When he was eating and sneaking snacks to the dogs is when Trouble snapped).
I am having a little difficulty getting DDs chest protector looking nice and taking the evidence of Hurricane Ida off of it. I figured if I just have to buy her a new uniform and arm and leg protection it won’t bite as hard. I will try to scrub by hand tomorrow. I told DD that I learned something new. Her chest protector can double as a floatation device. Darn thing doesn’t belong in the washer. I will bring it on the picnic table with a brush tomorrow.
So tomorrow I am bringing two of my DD’s to the doctor and Tuesday I interview for a bridge tender position. Really hoping to get it. It’s a little cold still. Kids out hanging out with a friend and long time neighbor. Obviously I won’t rest until I know they all home safe. I am supposed to be babysitting my grand puppy.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
He got his eyes examined and he told me his glasses will cost over $600.
Have him get a paper copy of his rx and go online to zennioptical. I get my glasses for under $20/pair. Bifocals and nicer frames could make it closer to $100, but still MUCH better than the optometrist

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I pushed the ADON for another shift of training on a different shift and I went in with a by the book nurse. I realize that if we are under state inspection this is the way to go and yes I know how to do it correctly but my body can’t handle that anymore. I came home in a really bad way and once again I was using the wheelchair by evening. I will start myself on Boron again and see if I can chase the arthritis away. Today I am a little better.
Trouble is just ridiculous with her alpha female self. She has to bully every dog she comes in contact with and I am about sick of it. My poor Snoopy needed to relieve himself last night and DH put him out while Trouble was hiding under our bed. When he let her in I wanted him to eat something and Trouble comes out and had her aggressive look and I pointed at her and had a few choice words and DH as well but Snoopy lost his appetite and went in DD’s room, where he was closed in for his own safety. Trouble is currently tied outside watching DH work and Snoopy is inside with me. I really don’t care for this arrangement. I hadn’t really been able to live with my dog since the storm and it’s obvious we each have our favorite. Problem is DH’s favorite is dangerous. I will never accept another from that breed.
So I have to put another navy blue scrub dress together because it’s already cut out but the facility I am working at has nurses in grey. Fortunately housekeeping is in navy blue which is the department my 18 year old DD wants to work in. I can make her some tiny scrubs with whatever I have left and buy myself some grey fabric. I am still convinced the smartest thing is dresses instead of a suit because only half the fabric. But a few extra inches so no one can see the top of my socks. Amen.
Some new shoes might be in order or at least some inserts. Anything to help me with this pain.
Okay I can’t tackle everything today but at least my rootstock seeds and loquat seeds in a seed starter. Satsuma trees are on sale for over $30 at Walmart so obviously I need to put this as a priority. I think I can make as much or more money selling trees as I do selling fruit.
My cousin who repairs IPhones sent me a link for a solar system for a small house or camper for $2,500 including a 3,500 watt inverter and 6 panels…I don’t know what size. What I am most interested in is seeing the thing unpacked and even helping him with the set up and determining the outcome because when we move to the woods that’s kinda the route we have to go. But he talked to me in person with DH there about his purchase because he is aware how my brain operates. I hope it’s a winner. Down here AC is pretty much a necessity. Don’t get me wrong…I still want to figure a way to make an underground dwelling (but actually have it above ground level) for the coolness and for protection from storms but we actually already have campers.
My WIFI isn’t working and I think it’s the provider so I will probably get an extra line and have my geeky cousin replace the other line. I wasn’t paying for internet. I was actually using a government issued phone’s SIM card with a wireless router 🤷‍♀️ I am seriously trying to not pay for anything lately.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, potbellies are pretty much give aways here....more of a beg you to take them!! 😁

Our TSCs have "swap days"...used to be once a month or so. No certificates or anything. Just show up, set up, clean up as you leave. An animal yard sale, so to speak. You could bring anything animal, garden or farm related.
That is what our TSC 's do also. Some list it as a "draw in" for getting customers that will come... buy that "adorable bunny" or a couple of chickens... then they need feed and a waterer and a feeder ... you get it.