Are we living our dream?

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good morning to all the other vampires šŸ§›ā€ā™€ļø out there. I just woke up after my first of 4 night shifts. I hear something that sounds like a lawnmower outside. Sometimes I hear DH. I donā€™t think he realizes I am up. He took his night meds yesterday morning and then his morning meds at night so he is just about on my schedule but by accident. He worries me sometimes.
Deep down he wants to farm. Itā€™s hard for me to listen to him saying, ā€œI canā€™t do this anymore,ā€ when clearly he is doing it. I guess he is just voicing doubts šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø Farming is like an addiction for him. Me too really. And I know having an outside job affects my ability to get chores done.
So in this neighborhood there is a man who does little jobs for cash. He has no wife or children. He frequently drinks a lot of beer. He had been staying at a big house in the back of the street like in a shed or something and could sometimes take a shower and had use of a downstairs fridge. Well he got kicked out because of no regular job so DH put him at his trailer so he has a roof over his head. From what I understand he cleaned the trailer and I now understand itā€™s him cutting the grass. Oh wellā€¦.one hand washes another.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not just posting less. According to my phone my screen time is down 71%. I guess thatā€™s a good thing. So I am off tonight and tomorrow night. Itā€™s late but I havenā€™t eaten yet. Waiting for DH to come home from the store and I am praying he didnā€™t buy the whole thing. He stopped by my farm and went into the orchard before dark and something was scaring Trouble enough that she was afraid to get away from the truck. He sent me a video. I suggested he get out of there now. If Trouble is scared itā€™s probably not nice. All I am really thinking about is a chunk of French bread. But DH cooked rabbit fricassee. He is a great cook but he doesnā€™t clean up behind himself so I do. I just hope he notices. I think he does. šŸ„°
DS and family came over yesterday for a while. The baby acted like she didnā€™t want me šŸ˜Ÿ. I was just over 2 weeks ago to babysit. I will go to the fort in the middle of June to watch the kids for at least 3 days. I understand they are having a horrible time potty training so I will get er dun. I can do it if I have 3 days.
I have a coworker who had WIC for her baby but she didnā€™t think Similac was as good as Enfamile so she stockpiled it. I reimbursed her some of the costs of the formula and obtained several cans of Similac for my grandchild to finish out her infancy and possibly for the next baby already in route. DS helped himself to a bag of several cans. And I do have powdered goats milk just in case.
While here the little boy couldnā€™t wait to help his Pawpaw feed the animals and see the farm. I hope it stays with him.
So I think arthritis has set in my right shoulder and is radiating pain down my arm. Itā€™s amazing how much pain one small body part can generate. I missed one of my nights of workā€¦ therefore I accepted the pain was worse than my desire for the pay, which says a lot. I think I will review all the various types of arthritis and put my thinking cap on. I mean supposedly I know more about medicine than the average person and herbs but I looked at what all medicine I had on hand and it was hard to cancel out enough of the pain to function properly. Makes me feel useless. As much as possible I was favoring my non-dominant hand. Warmth helps. Herbal speaking onlyā€¦ I started thinking I might need to pay attention to my immune system.
I still donā€™t have my tricycle assembled. DH thinks he can do it. Maybe I can get DS to come over and help. I really want to exercise without hurting my feet.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Itā€™s more assembled than not. He was last fighting with the brakes. I just ordered a bike umbrella, an ice chest that straps on the handle bars with a phone holder and some ice packs. Maybe I should have ordered maze just in case.
DS told me he doesnā€™t need me to babysit anymore seeing he wonā€™t be moving to Texas and has a job waiting for him back home. Great!! I can be the greatest grandmother ever. I suppose I can tell my supervisor she doesnā€™t need to replace me next month.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am at work and I canā€™t believe I have a little downtime. I agreed to work my off nights to help out. Tonight should have been my first off night so Iā€™m halfway through. I have another 5 nights to go. Yesterday morning I honestly tried to do extra chores. I didnā€™t just go to bed. I made myself do several things before going to sleep. I woke up and my tricycle was upside down so DH has been trying to finish it. I had a package in the mailbox that had several of the things I ordered to attach to the bike. I hope I get home and can finally take a spin but regardless I will try to do more of what all I did yesterday. Keep busy. Eat lessā€¦do more. Motivate myself. Talking myself into tackling hotspots.
DH went to the Cajun Heritage Festival while I slept and came home with a t-shirt for me and a small painting of a magnolia cuz he knows I have been wanting to find my great-aunts paintings of them. Different artist, of course šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
Just a few minutes and I will start giving lots of medicine. We have squid to clean at homeā€¦I think. DH bought them cuz he knows itā€™s my favorite. I wanted to start on them yesterday.
DS questioned me about if I ever considered controlling the grass in the orchard with controlled fire. I told him I never heard of it. Hmmm. So I noticed a small cattle trailer on the roadside, for sale yesterday morning but I didnā€™t stop for details. I think I will because if itā€™s big enough to transport a lawnmower and the price is right I can see it being quite practical. We talking about getting a utility trailer anyway.
Well nursing life is callingā€¦.farming later.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good morning (6:51PM). Nightshift life šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø I just got a package with several herbs necessary to put the Hoxsey cancer treatment. I want to treat a 12 year old boxer that is full of breast tumors. She has been living with my oldest since right after the storm. The vet told her she has already surpassed her life expectancy and is the healthiest old boxer he ever saw. But she would need $1000 for the hysterectomy and tumor removal and I can just imagine losing her shortly afterwards between her age and stress of the surgery so I am taking this opportunity to put together the remedy I have been saying I will try for years. I only have one more shift and then 2 nights of freedom. I sure wish I was in my own house with my books and equipment. But I will make do. I really hope I can shrink the tumors. Historically it has been a lifesaver. Uncharted waters for me though.
DH really needs me. He hates domestic chores šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø So I have a few hours before I leave to straighten up a few things. I just hope I have something that resembles a uniform.
I donā€™t have any idea what is taking him so long to finish the tricycle. It looks ready to roll except for the air in the tires. Itā€™s taking up so much room in the living area of the house. Maybe I can get it done if I move fast enough. If he sees me doing stuff he gets motivated more.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have lost track of time. I am probably 2 weeks without starches. Really slow progress.
DD15 is here with her dog šŸ„°, who just survived a probable poison. I told her the dog would be safer here with us. Got her to drive Trouble and I in the cane fields for a doggie run last night.
We have a litter of about 7 potbelly piglets. I canā€™t believe how tiny they are. Most are black but one is white with black spots and everyone is totally in love with the oddball. DH is wondering how high the ransom will be šŸ˜‚.
The big news here is the entergy bills being so outrageous. People are sharing their bills online and itā€™s unbelievable. I called Entergy for mine, out of curiosity and I still have a credit from last November when I paid $400, so I am doing something right.
DH has been sweating something terrible and needing 2 or 3 changes of clothes a day. I am thinking maybe I can join him outside today and sweat it out too. At least a few hours. The garden is a mess and I am sure the animals would love a little weeds. Besidesā€¦ maybe I can find something green to bring inside.
I need to wash my scrubs today. I might order more. They so easy to wear. But also I was thinking about becoming an eBay seller if I can just understand how to get started. Like I can literally pay half price for my scrubs and sell to the many medical staff members I know personally and online. I need my godchild to hold my hand a few hours. She can get me started. She had been doing that since before Ida. Thatā€™s what helped her survive when her business was damaged.
Drinking coffee in the quiet and I canā€™t believe I am still alone with my thoughts. Coffee is better in the quiet. It just is. šŸ„°.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay now I call back and I am told not a torn rotator cuff but a worn rotator cuff so basically I am old and used up.
So I have taken to riding my tricycle everyday. The first time I overdid it so I have now set a stopping point that was originally 5 minutes away from the house but I am making it there faster so I want to eventually get to the bridge that I got to that first day but without exhausting me.
Been without starches since July 10th and only lost at best, 16 pounds. As heavy as I am I thought for sure I would have dropped a lot more.
Well I have been on night shift and I have jury duty Wednesday so taking Tuesday night off and I am working tonight. Trying to get my chores done fast. I just put a potbelly pig in a big cast iron pot. I altered my grandmotherā€™s squash cake recipe to be keto friendly and fixed it in the crockpot last night. I guess you can say I am trying to empty the small freezer so I can make ice because I bought an ice cream machine. Itā€™s impossible for me to buy a diabetic ice cream so I figured I could create something šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø
So about farming and self sufficiencyā€¦. I am making vanilla extract with vodka. I am going to clean the fridge and save the yuck for the chickens. I told my aunt I want to buy some books to teach me small engine repairs and maintenance and maybe appliances and she ordered them for me šŸ˜³. Oh and my kid finally decided she needs an education!! Thank God!! So I enrolled her in a small local school. All my remaining children are being educated.
Well itā€™s getting late. I best take my ride.

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah I am very late with my blood work but Iā€™m finally on a good roll so I am hoping if I can keep this up a while that my blood will tell a good story on me and I can actually go through life without too many prescriptions. I guess I am avoiding the Doc. A few days ago I was afraid I would have to schedule my female exam due to a problem rather than a yearlyā€¦ only 6 years late šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø But the pain vanished. Stillā€¦ probably should visit the doctor.
So last night was an extra and tonight starts my 4 night hitch (except for the jury duty thing). Need to hang a batch of laundry and bring Trouble run before my disappearing act. Itā€™s possible we stumbled upon my long lost Dachshund at an old friend of DH but they claim the dog is just a year old. Gonna try to think of an excuse to go over on my off time. If the dog is mine she will recognize me.