BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Pinky, they have proved VERY sucessful, but the weather kills them sometimes........they are really good in the winter usually......

Cheerio, thanks!

Well she is getting rebred now, and I have cleaned all the dead ones out of her box, I lost 6. I have asked a friend about what I did wrong and I think I will be able to keep the next litters :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I got one chore of my list done! Laying Hen coop has been rebedded with oak leaves, and nests have been cleaned out! :weee

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I got lots done today! :D After I cleaned the coop, we went and got feed at the new place. I must say this is the best feed ever, smells good. Also since I switched the chickens do not eat as much as they used to with Dumor. I actually have had food left in the feeder the last couple of days. But Im culling the rooster sometime this week, he is a horrible forager, lazy so he is leaving :D I already have a new one lined up and he is the son of my old red rooster I had, and that roo would have them out eating, not lazy in the least. Then my cousin has the brother of the rooster I am getting and he said that that flock bypasses feed for forage everyday. :D Im liking this already, I'll post a pic when we get him. He is very pretty.

Then I went to the garage where my feeds are kept and I cleaned up old feed bags, garbage, etc. And reorganized it, I put my scratch in a big tub for ease of use. Then have my layer and rabbit feed in those buckets. The mice are about to starve :D No more mice feedings! :tongue
1419_sam_2541.jpg

I also figured out that I have 4 does instead of 3. My sister took the one that an older doe attacked this spring. She kept it as a pet. Then she got bored with it and I ended up feeding her rabbits (which have became useful lately) she gave em to me. We looked at this doe's area and she looked male'ish. Well she isnt, I looked again and bred her today! :weee
1419_sam_2542.jpg

I have them all ID'ed by names. From left to right: Deb, she is almost two years old, bred since December 11, Alma almost two years old, bred since December 17, BB around 7 or 8 monthes, bred December 20, and Thumper, around 7 or 8 monthes old, and will be bred on December 24.

Then I have my two little bucks to show ya.
1419_sam_2543.jpg

These have been Id'ed by names as well. From left to right: Alex, he is almost two years old and is cross of a lop (like the does), he has been doing the breeding lately, Walter, he is about 6 monthes old, and is retired till spring when I will past judgment on his manhood.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Oh look! I have a bunny named after me! :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Oh look! I have a bunny named after me! :D
In a way! I have had Deb longer than I ve been on here though. But when I see your posts I think of good ole deb.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Pretty bunnies Buffy! I cracked up at "I will pass judgement on his manhood" :lol: :gig

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I laughed as I typed it :lol:

I cant wait to have children in January, I will make sure each nest has a lip in front, build a nest for BB, then have shavings to add to their houses. Do you huys think I should put hay on the wire too?

Also my new rooster is a rose combed black sex link, and a excellent forager. I cant wait to get him :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I always provide hay in winter especially for nursing mothers.

Latest posts