BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I dont give hay mine get fresh greens everyday, I need to get some hay. I plan on feeding my meaties basically hay with supplementary pellets.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I cant wait to have children in January :D
It's a good think we know what you're talking about, otherwise we'd have to sit you down and have a talk w/you, Grasshopper. :hide

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
BarredBuff said:
I cant wait to have children in January :D
It's a good think we know what you're talking about, otherwise we'd have to sit you down and have a talk w/you, Grasshopper. :hide
Yeah it is! :lol:

Pregnancy is actually running amuck at my school, those kids need to think.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It's not so much that they need to think, they need to think differently. Right now, they're apparently thinking it can't happen to me. :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Tonight the rebreeding of Thumper (grey rabbit) began! I was gonna wait till Christmas eve but then I remembered it would space the litters to much, so they are all about 3 or 4 days apart.

Tomorrow, should be a fairly productive day. I plan to clean out the former meat chicken coop and prep it for meat rabbits. I want to remove the roosts, and put a frame up to keep them away from the door and sort of create a hay feeder. I have all the supplies, I just have to do it. Then we are goona try and get some hay soon. I also need to go to the garden and cut some mustard and turnip for the breeders, the pregnant ladies get extra. :D I want to clip the Velveteen's nails and get a date scheduled for her with a dutch rabbit. My other bucks have way to big genetics for her, she cant feed them.

Then I need to add leaves to the layer coop, again. Then pick up garbage and just generally clean up down there.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When you use shredded leaves in the chicken coop, do you have to keep adding to it a lot? Will leaves help keep the ammonia smell down better than bedding? This is our first winter with chickens, and I am surprised at how much smellier they are, even though I air out the coop/let them out daily.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
No its about the same, I just didnt put enough in yesterday. One main difference is cost, shavings cost money while leaves are free....

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im also planning on using the electric butter churn tomorrow......... :D

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
No its about the same, I just didnt put enough in yesterday. One main difference is cost, shavings cost money while leaves are free....
I wanted to try chopped leaves, but by the time we got the chicken coop here and situated, all the leaves were frozen to the ground and covered with ice and snow :p

Do you think it would be alright to sprinkle some baking soda out there occasionally, to cut down on the smell? My ladies almost knock me over in the mornings with their stinkiness :sick - and winter has only just begun!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
BarredBuff said:
I wanted to try chopped leaves, but by the time we got the chicken coop here and situated, all the leaves were frozen to the ground and covered with ice and snow :p

Do you think it would be alright to sprinkle some baking soda out there occasionally, to cut down on the smell? My ladies almost knock me over in the mornings with their stinkiness :sick - and winter has only just begun!
I dont know. Baking soda may work, I havent a clue. But when mine gets to smelling, I just add bedding....