BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
In the last 48 hours, I have went non stop!!

Yesterday morning, I put my cream, milk and buttermilk in the churn and let it clabber. We like the Sour Cream butter better than Sweet cream. Anyhow we got that sealed up and it began clabbering. Then I went to the coop where the meat chickens were, and my Lord was it horrible :sick I had made manure lasagna. It was gross, a crust had formed on the top. And it was nice and stinky and soggy underneath :sick It took me two hours to shovel it out, and scrape the the floor. That was a mess, I will never be doing lasgana again with them.

After I got it cleaned out, I got some tools the proceeded to remove the roosts from the floor and wall. That was suprisingly easy. I moved them and propped them up on the kennel and the rain washed them off for me. I need to take them and stored them somewhere. Then I started building a panel to put at the door way and face it straight back to the wall. This has something I have been wanting to do for a while. Now I can put momma hens and her chicks there (like I'll ever get a broody) and not worry about them getting out, and then in February when my meat rabbits are weanable I will be able to put them in that area and grow them out. This panel has asquare'ish opening at the end, that I am going to put a strip of ply wood on for when it holds chicks or ducklings. Then I can take it off and use it to feed hay by feeding the bale up through that way.

All that ended up being a 4 hour project. :rolleyes: But well worth it!

Today, I put pine shavings down in there so I'll be ready for rabbits and to help with the horrible stench. Then me and Gran finished the butter, got it churned and washed. Froze part of it and put the rest in the fridge. I had buttermilk but we dont need it, so I think the chickens are gonna get a treat. :D

Then I bedded the chicken coop down with some may the chickens got into a pooped on the outer part. Then took the center out and gave it to the pregnant does. We are going to get a couple of bales today since I have storage room, now, :D

I have a question rabbit folk:

Right now my pregnant does are being fed:

8 to 10 ounces of 16% pellets
Close to a cup of leafy greens
Free choice hay

Bucks and the non pregnant doe:
8 ounces of pellets
Close to half a cup of leafy greens

Does that look like they are getting enough to eat?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
looks good to me...but your best bet is simply looking/feeling them
i know alot of breeders also give pregnant and lactating does calf manna (1 tbsp a day untill the babies start nibbling the pellets themselves) might be worth looking into if your worried about weight.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im not worried about weight, they look healthy. They are big girls! They fit the standard perfectly. I was just wondering whether I am giving them enough where it will be wintertime with babies...thanks Pinky!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Yesterday, we had gift exchange at my Dad's house and he gave me a 100$ certificate to Lehmans! :D

And I am formulating my shopping list:

1. (2) Burlap Sacks
2. (2) packs of 8 plastic wide mouth lids
3. Bucket Opener (for the backery buckets, etc.)
4. (2) Packs of 6 1/2 Gallon Jars
5. Filters for a Large Milk Strainer
6. 4 oz. Stick Butter Mold

That will help us a bit with the big Jersey we plan on getting.

Dairy people, do you use strip cups?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Yesterday, we had gift exchange at my Dad's house and he gave me a 100$ certificate to Lehmans! :D

1. (2) Burlap Sacks

I'm going to the store in Kidron, Ohio. Just Fed-ex me those certificates tomorrow, I'll put them to good use for you!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
FarmerJamie said:
BarredBuff said:

1. (2) Burlap Sacks

I'm going to the store in Kidron, Ohio on Tuesday. Just Fed-ex me those certificates tomorrow, I'll put them to good use for you!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I have managed to get several things done today! :woot

I got my order placed at Lehmas, should arrive around Thursday or Friday. :D Then we cleaned the basements (s), in preparation for the new pantry in a few weeks. I know we have been building it for 6 monthes but its finally happening. Incubation seems to be going good, it stabilized right at 100 I think, so were good. I hope I have a good hatch.

Now off to feed and water the animals! :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Animals are fed and watered! I got two bales of hay for the pregnant rabbits, much better than my last little bale. Tomorrow we are going to Lexington, and making a TSC stop. I need to get rabbit pellets, two new waterers, and a 10 lb. hanging feeder. I need that feeder for the meat rabbits, and to use with meat chickens, chicks, etc. But anyway, cleaning make the house look better but her occupants are crabby :p Im in a bad'ish mood right now.......