BarredBuff's Homesteading Shenanigans

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
OH and according to my records she is the only one who has not been caught on the nest or had a moist vent. So yes the turbulent times are coming to her.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im culling the chicken tommorow :woot!

NEVER thought I'd be happy over that..........

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm getting more strict with my flock too nowadays, so I think you made the right decision. I've never yet had a poor layer improve over time. Usually it is something internally not right with their plumbing or otherwise just bad layer genetics. Gotta work for food in my coop! :p Enjoy your chicken and dumplings! :cool:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
journey11 said:
I'm getting more strict with my flock too nowadays, so I think you made the right decision. I've never yet had a poor layer improve over time. Usually it is something internally not right with their plumbing or otherwise just bad layer genetics. Gotta work for food in my coop! :p Enjoy your chicken and dumplings! :cool:
Dont worry I will!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I culled the chicken. I didnt eat her either because as I was skinning her I felt around and there was NO meat on her thighs and very little on her breast and I thought FORGET this.........

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry you had to cull your chicken and then not get anything from it. I was one of those people that wanted to let everything live and try and save everything but now I have changed my mind about that. Now animals are going to have to earn their keep and as our pets die, they won't be replaced. Of course we will always have a couple of dogs but that is protection so I guess even they are earning their keep a bit.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
How did it go? On your own, that is?

g
I went over to my killing place brought a bowl, cut some twine, sharpened the hatchet and got my knife. Then I went to the coop and grabbed her up. Then I thanked God for the chance to eat her then she was being incooperative and hit her with it a few times and then she flopped forever. Then I took her up to the clothes line and tied her up and I began skinning her. And I started feeling around and she was bones not meat at all no meat on the thighs or breast. And I thought Im just gonna put you in a bag and haul you off. I took her number off and then got a bag, and she sits on the screened in porch now.

Its amazing the reactions I get from my family

Mom and Gran thought I did the right thing.

Sister didnt care.

Auntie will be mad at me for doing so because "I didnt give her a chance". :somad