Bartering, Do You Do IT....?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I love a good barter! I have bartered lots of things over the years, but one of my favorites was letting my friend pick blackberries in exchange for venison. :drool

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
I'd love to find folks with fresh goats milk,cheese and toilet paper to barter with.Not alot of folks have dairy goats near me and no paper mills.I know i can still find more barterers though if i look.Each yr i try to increase my garlic production and plant more asparagus, because their is such a strong demand, but my acre and a half is getting filled up..!
It's nice to be able to barter for those more expensive things, that i really don't have cash to buy or i think are just to expensive, like local seafood.I never buy locally caught fish, its so expensive.Thats one of the things i love about bartering, i can get stuff i normally would not be willing to pay alot for.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
I do auto repair for a living. In the past have swapped auto repair labor for electrical and plumbing work. This coming weekend I will be working on a cement contractors truck in exchange for him pouring a new sidewalk for us. He pays for the truck parts and I pay for the concrete, we just swap labor.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Dh just bartered his Grand National with less than 40,000 miles for 5 acres in northern Maine. I think we got the better deal with gas prices rising.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Oh Wow.. you all are getting some good barter deals going...! Very nice...:)

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I barter eggs for goats milk...have been for a few years now. I wish there was a paper mill around here as well. I would love to barter for TP. Seems like such a waste to spend money on.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
I've bartered a lot. In fact, I lived two years exchanging room and board for my cooking and cleaning skills.
God I wish you lived out east a bit, I'd love to find a youngin' I could get along with to help me out with everything going on around here.

Unfortunately cooking and cleaning for a household of 10 means room, board, money and a car plus 400/week :hide I can't afford all that.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Back in TN, we used to barter our banty eggs for a gallon of raw cows milk every week or so. Our neighbor loved pickled banty eggs and I grew up with cows milk so we were all happy!

Now I barted my eggs with my Mom once a week for a real shower and use of her washing machine. We have a solar shower (the kind you use when camping) but the skeeters enjoy it too. :duc

Our neighbors have been bringing us their bagged leaves so I'm going to be returning the favor after I get them shredded so they can use them in their flower beds for mulch...and they get eggs, too.

Dawn

Daphnetree

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I love barter, my current barter is I have two students who in exchange for learning about herbs and midwifery help me make herbal products, work in the garden, run errands, do yard work, whatever I need for 10 hours a week. I love it, as most of my other students are online.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bartering of the season so far.

Got a 1998 outback with little repairs needed for mowing. I offered to mow a ladies yard for the season for a car she no longer needed. :)

Do some mowing for crabmeat at another persons

Mow another ladies house for free nights at her bed and breakfast. That way family and friends have a nice place to stay when they visit

Working out a deal to do some tree work for a Kayak

Trading an old Gijoe toy collection for a M4 :)

Have another person who wants some roof work done for a snow blower. This is tempting.