BBH's campfire fun~popping in

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Very nice pics!

What a wonderful view off of your deck...I bet you practically live out there?

So tell me....what do you use the rocket stove for, aside from getting water to a boil in 15 flat?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Great pictures! Such a sweet piggy face :) You have a absolutely beautiful view off that deck.

Oh, and you should check into a Photobucket account. Up to 10 MB is free :) That's where I store all my pictures. Well, there, and my computer & a disc. And a thumb drive :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Morning y'all!

Thanks Noobie, I'll look into that photobucket thingy.

Dace, right now we are just sorta playing with the rocket stove...figuring it out and such. So far, we have boiled water, boiled eggs and then Sam (my dd) "grilled" shrimp on it in an iron skillet. She knows how to light it and really enjoys cooking outside.

This summer (I don't have air conditioning) I am sure I will use it for lots of cooking so I don't heat up my kitchen.

The cinder blocks have those holes in them and I store all of the matches and cut up newspaper (for lighting the stove) in a big ziplock inside those holes. I also use the holes to store the wood scraps that I'm going to use for the fire, restocking it for each fire.

The view is of the yard (where the sheep and chickens live) and beyond that you see part of the horse pasture, beyond the pasture is the "seasonal pond" which stays full 9 months out of the year. My property is on a giant slope, house is up high and the rest slopes down to the pond. You can't see it, but there is a big fire pit below the back deck in the yard. (I really do have a campfire going in the evenings! :p) I'll try to take photos of it today.

And the back deck faces west most of the year so I get a beautiful sunset (in the dry season). (Did anyone see "May" the chicken on my deck?)

And yes, when I'm not having to work inside, :rolleyes: I'm usually outside the whole time! :D

Off to see if Pumpkin hatched anymore eggs. (When do I take them away? She hatched the first three on Sat. 22nd.)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I saw the chicken! :frow I wasn't quite sure what it was - is it a silkie? Looks fluffy.
You have a gorgeous place!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
You guys I have Joel Salatin in my backyard (an hour away) and I'm trying to figure out how to go and see him. He is speaking today and again on Sat. Sat is out of the question b/c I have a guest flying in from TX to visit...she isn't into farming much. (The topic I'm most interested in is today anyway.)

I just found this out (thanks Buster!) and boy howdy the wheels are spinning fast up there. It costs $25 plus another $6 for a ferry ride (if I walk on) then a hike across Seattle to get there. Thinking, thinking, thinking!!! :p

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
(I really shouldn't be spending any money on "extras"...)

Yeah, I'm not sure where the university is. The map makes it out to be near the ferry docks, but I don't think it is.

Where is OFG??? She lived in Seattle and knows it well.

Anyway, Seattle has a great public transit system, so I'm sure that wont be a problem. (It is a easy city to walk about too...lots of hills, good for your bunz. :p)

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
UW? There are buses that run from 3rd every 10 min. It is a cinch to get there. I take it you didn't make it though. Bummer.

Benson sure is getting big!