Beat the heat.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Another option with the same principal is to wet the curtains. Cheaper than a swamp cooler, much cheaper than ac. I say were almost all born with the ability to handle the weather and walk barefoot. It's the years of ac and wearing shoes that makes us soft. 40 years ago ac was rare here and nobody thought anything of it. Some countries hotter than the U.S. it's still rare because they can't afford it and couldn't afford the electricity if they could, yet they make it through better than us if we lose electricity. I was thinking about that lately when every time it gets over 100 they tell everyone to stay inside.

overweight people do not have the same tolerance for heat. if you look at the stats for obesity that should answer your question as to why there would be recommendations for staying inside and using the AC. i consider it a self-reinforcing negative feedback loop and getting out of it is not easy for most people. :(

i'm doing better this year compared to last but it is also going a lot more slowly because i'm living with someone with less tolerance.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
No beer here. Hate the flavor. But a splash of sweet wine in a glass of fruit juice sometimes hits the spot. I have a VERY low alcohol tolerance. A dose of cough syrup will make me woozy. Guess I would be a cheap drunk. My go to is iced tea, ice water with a squeeze of lemon and a bit of sugar. I've been cutting lemons into wedges and freezing them. Makes for a nice flavored ice cube substitute.

Agreed re: electrolytes. On super hot days, I've had my flock stumbling around like drunkards. When I mix up the koolaid electrolyte solution, they recover and are normal within 1/2 hour.

Important to keep an eye on animals during these hot months. My dog is a sun worshiper. Can't be healthy for her!!!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I like beer, but it has to be a beer that I can taste the sweetness of the malt, and not blow my head off with hops. Most commercial taste like water and are way to hoppy for me.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The otherday i was stuck on a roof all day working on a package unit. Heat index was 110 and it was sunny! I started getting dizzy after a couple hours of pulling heavy tools up to the roof with a rope. I ate a teaspoon of table salt and slammed 2 bottled waters. Right as rain after that.

Yeah... Dizzy on a roof - not good bro.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Beatin da heat again today. Bout time to put on some shorts and flip flops and water the garden. (It keeps me sane)

View attachment 11776

Michelob ultra is like 3.3% ABV, you would really have to drink a number of those in a short time to get a buzz. So yeah a nice refreshing light beer to break the sweat and cool off during the summer, nothing wrong with that at all.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We bought a cheap pool from Menards for this summer, maybe next. If we find we use it and keep it up, we will spend the bucks and get a nice one. After spending a week filling the dang pool - we only ran the well pump for 2 hours at a time so we didn't burn it out- the pool filter only lasted 3 days! So now I have a pool that I can't swim in because without the pump, I can't keep the chemicals at the proper level and mixed evenly across the pool. DH is trying a couple of fixes before he lets me call the manufacturer for a replacement pump.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We bought a cheap pool from Menards for this summer, maybe next. If we find we use it and keep it up, we will spend the bucks and get a nice one. After spending a week filling the dang pool - we only ran the well pump for 2 hours at a time so we didn't burn it out- the pool filter only lasted 3 days! So now I have a pool that I can't swim in because without the pump, I can't keep the chemicals at the proper level and mixed evenly across the pool. DH is trying a couple of fixes before he lets me call the manufacturer for a replacement pump.

We had a 30' round pool in NC. Its a ton of work for little pleasure.