Beekeeping...for those interested!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Okay, gals...got a question. When I first installed my package of bees they settled into a quiet humming in the hive and it has been like that for the last three days. I've seen the occasional bee flying about the place but not many on all the clover I have in the yard.

Today will be the time I check the hive to see if the queen has been released and to see if they are drawing out comb. I just did a general look see at the hive~but didn't open it yet~ and noticed a lot more bee activity and I could hear a louder humming....is this good or bad? Does this mean the queen has been released and they are working or does this louder humming mean we want to swarm because we don't like this home?

I fed a little when I placed them in the hive because we should have a good honey flow here but I will feed more tonight if it looks like they are depleting the feeding.

Rebecka, I don't intend to sugar my bees! ;)

2Dream, here is a link you might find informative about "leave 'em alone" beekeeping. It has some very interesting insights on how to NOT manage your bees too much.

http://www.biobees.com/

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I just did a general look see at the hive~but didn't open it yet~ and noticed a lot more bee activity and I could hear a louder humming....is this good or bad? Does this mean the queen has been released and they are working or does this louder humming mean we want to swarm because we don't like this home?
it's hard to say. very likely, they are just getting down to business. the sound inside the hive will change constantly, depending on what they are up to. don't sweat it yet. just crack her open and have a look!

good luck!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I asked the same question on the BYC and the folks said that more than likely they were getting down to business. I didn't get a chance to peek in tonight, had to go to son's graduation~I believe I would have rather had several bee stings to the lip than go to that boring, sweltering hot, long and drawn out ceremony :p

Anyhoo...will look in tomorrow evening and will report what I find. If I think about it I will take pics of what I see!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
2dream said:
if I set up a home made top bar hive out of recycled material my only expense would really be finding the bees and left to their own devices they would tend themselves in a protected location on my property.
just wanted to add that you might have more luck with less tended hives if you went with the Langstroths. i don't have any experience with top bars (although i really want to build one) but, if my assumptions are correct, it seems they would be more likely to swarm if not tended, since there is a finite amount of space. with Langstroths, you can always just slap another super on the top and let the bees move up. but it seems with the top bars you HAVE to harvest the honey and combs when they are full so the bees can start building new ones...

again, you'd want to check these assumptions with someone who has top bars.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Well, I finally checked my new bee package! They had not managed to release the queen, so I assisted with this.

They looked like they were drawing comb on the bars!!! They had formed a chain on two of them and when I moved them to get to the queen cage, a mass of bees dropped onto the hive floor. They were very nonaggressive and let me remove the queen cage and release their queen.

Next time I will have a brush to brush the bees off the surfaces....I improvised with a leafy twig. My smoker only smoked a little before my smudge went out but I had held it up to the entrance and introduced a little smoke into the hive before opening.

I am very excited that they are building comb and I hope they intend to stay!!! :fl :fl :fl :fl

I did NOT freak out this time!!!! :D I was calm and did everything slowly like everyone advised and it went well. Thank you, Lord! :)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
I am very excited that they are building comb and I hope they intend to stay!!!

I did NOT freak out this time!!!! :D I was calm and did everything slowly like everyone advised and it went well. Thank you, Lord! :)
YAY! see, we knew you could do it! now you just need to go out and sit next to them and sing a little song that goes something like

"Happy bees build lots of comb
and fill it up with yummy gold!"

that should do the trick, don't ya think? :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Do you all try to bond with your hives at all? Does this even work? Do they even recognize a beekeeper as opposed to anyone else?

I would like very much to reach a comfort level with my bees and they with me.

All the other animals around here trust me more than anyone else and will follow me around and mostly do as I say. I was wondering of I could charm my bees in just the same way?

I would love to be a bee charmer! :D

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Do you all try to bond with your hives at all? Does this even work? Do they even recognize a beekeeper as opposed to anyone else?
i think they definitely recognize me. or maybe they just become accustomed to being worked. the two hives in the yard were fairly aggressive at first, but now i mow right up next to them on the big, very loud lawnmower and they don't even seem to notice i'm there.

the other hives are above the garden and i swear they come and watch me work. i'll be sitting there pulling weeds and there won't be any bees around. next thing i know i've got 30 little buzzers watching me from nearby plants. it's very zen.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That is good to know! Thanks! :) I want to be attuned to all the creatures here, as much as possible. I like the thought of being that close to nature and the animals/bees trusting me.

It makes working around this place much easier!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Congrats, beekissed, on getting your bees and realizing your screen name!! What fun, hey?

Bibliophile, I had my hives swarm 1-2 times each last year (1-2 swarms may have happened unwitnessed) from their topbars. The last couple times that it probably happened was in late summer when I was way overwhelmed in the gardens and unable to get to them. So, in my experience, I agree that it takes more time and effort to go through a topbar and harvest (hopefully) excess honey than to slap on another super.

My fantasy is to eventually have 4 foundationless Langstroth hives, too :D

Latest posts