Beverage Costs: Another Soapbox Moment

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was thinking about the high cost of everything but today in particular I was thinking about beverages. I fuss at my daughter when every time she notices her sons sippy cup empty she feels compelled to fill it to the brim. I remind her that recommended daily intake for a toddler is 2 cups. She can easily pour a half gallon (or more) in the span of one day. Much of it spoils or is spilled (he has learned to shake it out of his cup). Babies that drink too much milk can become anemic because it spoils their appetite to solid foods. If she isn't giving him milk than it's juice.

The same for her 5-year old daughter. She is given milk, juice, soda all the time. My children were always given milk and/or juice at mealtimes in a small juice glass (4-ounce or less). Water was the go to drink with coffee in the mornings for adults and a glass or two of iced tea but mostly water.

The cost of milk, juice, soda, Kool-aid type drinks, etc. have more than financial cost to consider. There is a very high incidence of obesity that I'm sure is linked to so many empty calories such as soda and Kool-aid. Even diet drinks are linked to health problems. My granddaughter has a lot of cavities and will need to have a lot of her teeth capped. This is absolutely the result of sugary drinks and snacks.

I bought a Brita water pitcher at a yardsale for $2 and have bought a couple more over the years from Walmart. The filters last for a month or two (depending on how much you drink) and the water has no off taste. Even if you buy filtered water it will be cheaper than other drinks.

I do like my tea (usually unsweetened) or ice water plain or flavored. My flavored water is from adding a few chunks of frozen fruit or a slice of citrus.

When I want a little change to my coffee I just use a sprinkle of cinnamon or vanilla. I don't care for sugar but will occasionally add a little milk.

My daughter rationalizes that milk and juice are health. There is a huge study about dairy and cancer connection but having went on a vegan diet for awhile I can say that it's harder to quit meat than dairy. As far as fruit, actual fruit is best. My sister used to try to convince me fruit rollups was like eating actual fruit. Thirty years later I still don't believe it.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
chocolate-comes-from-a-tree-is-a-plant-tshirt-zoom.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm actually enjoying my latest bargain beverage. Ya'll prolly know I enjoy an adult beverage before bedtime. I'm making wine - but it's not ready yet. I'm making milk liquor - but it's not ready yet either. One of my favorite bed-time 'snacks' is amaretto. Found a recipe for home-made amaretto. It's usually about $30 bucks a bottle, but I don't want to pay that much, especially when DH isn't working. Soooo, I found a recipe. It's very simple and has a vodka base. I got two bottles of Amaretto for less than $20. Yay recipe hacks!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, let me settle this sugar thing.......

Sugar comes from sugar beets and beets are vegetables! So clearly, sugar is in the vegetable family!

Sugar also comes from sugar cane and sugar cane is in the grass family, so think of it as munching on hay!

Sounds healthy to me, dunno what the heck everybody's problem is...

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't jump all over me for this, because I'm not pointing fingers, just making a casual observation. A lot of people get freaked out when they read about germs in restaurants. I suspect a lot of home kitchens are as dirty as some restaurants. You get used to a particular mix of bugs in your water and when you travel, sometimes you get "turista" from drinking the water in the new place. It doesn't necessarily mean the water is dirtier, because the locals are drinking their water with no problems. I liked the last paragraph in that article about lemon slices in restaurants-- sometimes you just gotta trust your immune system.

As far as sugar is concerned...
I've been on a super low-carb diet for a while now. I've lost a lot of weight, and I'm feeling more energetic than I ever did before. Studies have shown that, while the muscles and brain will use sugar and carbs first for energy, things actually run more efficiently (70% more!) when using energy from fatty acids. When I get hungry, it's not the "hands shaking, can't think, gotta eat NOW" kind of hunger that happens because of the peaks and lows of glucose swings. Although I still occasionally find myself saying "gee, a bowl of ice cream would be nice", it's easy to resist. If I get a craving, it's more likely to be for a plate of bacon and eggs than something sweet. This represents a 180 in my life.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
AND -- except for cooling, there is no waiting as with the wine & milk liquer. Nice. Time for some more Baileys to be whipped up.:cool:

Wanna, the carrots are high fiber, also high sugar. But, better for you than a Dove bar. For me, I love carrots but, Dove wins! :lol:

Britesea, low-carb??? Is this why we don't see menus and desserts much anymore? You've put a lot of us on diets.:idunno

I rarely have a soda. Sure like my coffee (black) & hot tea with cream & a touch of sugar. My well has great water, which I carry with me in a bottle for drinking when out & about. Use very little sugar -- until I set the wines in motion. At least it was free sugar! :rolleyes:

Restaurants are rarely visited. Maybe once a year... a birthday or such for someone.