Beverage Costs: Another Soapbox Moment

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Everything has its place. Moderation is key
I have 4 kids and we go threw 2 gallons of milk a week. They only get milk in cereal for breakfast and milk to drink with dinner. The rest of the time its water. Poor kids get all excited about sweet tea...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
The problem with most water in restaurants is that it's tap water...city water.... :sick I never drink city water if I can help it. Tastes like one would imagine the butt of a hippo would taste. :sick

So, when in an eatery, I am often forced to order tea or lemonade to cover the taste of that crappy water unless they have bottled water, which is also an iffy prospect...sometimes that's just tap water in a bottle and tastes like it.

When I know I'm going to a place like that, I often will bring along my own insulated cup of water from home, but sometimes get dirty looks over that.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
What's funny is the human brain uses a lot of sugar to fuel its functions, which is why kids crave sugar so much...but it's the kind of sugar that matters most. I still prefer cake over a potato though...and this ^^^is how I rationalize my sugar consumption being okay....good excuse as any...I can't change my craving, can only cut back and fall off the wagon and cut back again and fall off the wagon...okay and sometimes I even jump off the wagon after the ice cream truck but....it's a vicious cycle...I can't help it lol!!!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It use to be that desserts and soda's were a special treat. When I was a kid we had desserts on birthdays and holidays and sodas was a trip to town or maybe a picnic. Grandmother would tell us to save a bite of our meal to eat after the dessert so we could get the sweet taste out of our mouth. As a result I didn't care much for sweets so many years ago. I should start doing that again. My husband is so addicted to sugar he becomes terribly moody if he doesn't get his sugar fix.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Everything has its place. Moderation is key
I have 4 kids and we go threw 2 gallons of milk a week. They only get milk in cereal for breakfast and milk to drink with dinner. The rest of the time its water. Poor kids get all excited about sweet tea...

My momma made loose leaf tea on Sundays. It WAS a big deal! :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A few years ago I had a serious Diet Coke habit. Then I really found out what I was drinking and haven't had it in a couple of years. I tried it a year or so after stopping and I got super jittery and an immediate headache. It's amazing that I used to drink it every day!

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
At work people can get free small water cups, in our lobby we give them a clear cup because kids are jerks. Its fun catching non-water kids, I tell them to dump it or pay up the dollar that a small soda costs. Me giving them the stink eye is generally enough of a deterrent